[mod.rec.guns] Federal Law: What did we win?

jkh@jade.UUCP (10/17/86)

Article: 10:32

The article referring to the problem facing Hollywood
by the ban on new transfers of fully automatic
weapons to private parties, brings out the fact that
the so-called "gun owners rights" law that
was so widely acclaimed is, in fact another
step toward a total gun ban on the federal
level.  Clearly the law is unconstitutional, but
so is the Morton Grove, IL, ban on handguns.
Meanwhile, they are on the books and being enforced.

The legal precedent of banning fully automatic
weapons via a closed door, VOICE vote in commmittee,
means that the same thing CAN, and WILL be done at
a later date, to ban all private ownership of
firearms.  What's going to stop them?  The
Supreme Court is a joke when it comes to upholding
the Second Amendment.  The NRA has already shown
itself to be a paper tiger, representing only
"responsible sportsmen."

The most amazing thing about the machinegun
ban is that there is NO RECORD OF ANY CRIME
HAVING BEEN COMMITTED WITH A REGISTERED MACHINE GUN.
Just think of that when they decide that "nasty"
guns, suc has pistols and rifles, should be banned
because they HAVE been used by criminals to
commit crimes.

So, WHAT DID GUN OWNERS GAIN BY THE NEW LAW?
Nothing that I can see except that I can now
buy a rifle or shotgun in Billings, MT, if
I should ever pass that way.

Let's face it: WE'VE BEEN SUCKERED AGAIN.

Jon Kaplowitz
cbosgd!erc3ba!jfka

#! r