[mod.rec.guns] Resizer Dies for .357

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/30/86)

Article: 10:54

Tungsten carbide dies for .357 are the ONLY way to go.
Ditto for all straight case cartridges.
I recall that there are TC dies for bottle-neck
cases, but I don't remember the company that makes them.

Theoretically, TC dies do not any need lubrication.
In fact, they  can work very well in this mode. Even so,
it's a good idea to use a small amount of lubricant
every fifth round, just to keep everything moving smoothly.

Lyman and Pacific make wonderful dies.
Just remember that tungsten-carbide is very hard, but
also very BRITTLE.  This means that TC does not
bounce very well, so don't drop your dies on concrete
floors.  They may break.

Also, your best resizing lubricant is anhydrous lanolin.
Anhydrous lanolin may be bought at your local
drug store.  Chances are, you will be the first person
ever to make such a request of the pharmacist.
I bought a pound of it in 1976.  I still have used less than
4 ounces.  It works great and softens your hands, too.
I think I paid $4.00 for it.  A best buy.....

Jon Kaplowitz
cbosgd!erc3ba!jfka