[mod.rec.guns] mod.rec.guns: call the POLICE?

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (11/01/86)

Article: 10:60

Sorry, but the police in the United State are under NO
legal obligation to place themselves in danger in order to
protect you and your family.  This has been upheld by the courts.
If you should have to call them regarding an intruder in your
house, the police are NOT required to take all means
at their disposal to save you.  They might even ignore
your call or come "too late."

The courts in the US have consistently held the view that the
police exist for the "general good," not for the personal
benefit of a particularly threatened individual.

In other words, the government does not guarrantee your
safety, yet it makes laws which restrict your
ability to protect yourself from the bad guys.

Jon Kaplowitz
cbosgd!erc3ba!jfka

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (11/11/86)

Article: 11:12

> Sorry, but the police in the United State are under NO legal obligation
> to place themselves in danger in order to protect you and your family. ...

However, they usually will (barring perhaps the worst urban areas with the
worst police).  More to the point, why not give them the chance first?
Personally, I am under no illusions that I am Superman, or Rambo, or even
Dirty Harry.  Confronting a possibly armed and probably desperate intruder
(you can bet your booties he'll be desperate once he sees the gun in your
hand!) involves a considerable chance of getting shot at.  Which involves
a considerable chance of getting shot.  Which involves a substantial chance
of dying (especially if he decides to take no chances and finish you off).
Deliberately seeking out such a confrontation, when there are alternatives
which haven't been exhausted first, strikes me as suicidal.  If the police
aren't willing or able to deal with the matter, there may be no choice.
But if they will do it, for heaven's sake leave it to them!

> In other words, the government does not guarrantee your safety, yet it
> makes laws which restrict your ability to protect yourself from the bad guys.

"Life's hard, and then you die."  How *could* the government guarantee
your safety?  In anything short of a police state, that is?

> [another contributor]
> This makes the assumption that you hear someone breaking in.  Most people
> sleep so soundly that the only door or window being forced open that you
> will hear is in your bedroom...

Admittedly a problem, barring things like alarm systems.

> ...  (This is why I have a lock on the bedroom
> door and keep a .45 next on a nightstand next to the bed.  Of course, it
> is ALWAYS put away before I unlock the door in the morning and let my
> daughter in.)

Hmm.  I think I'd want my daughter (if I had one) *inside* the defensive
perimeter.  That is, a door between her bedroom and yours, and a lock on
her bedroom door too.

> > ... There are lesser reasons for this, like the courts taking a dim
> > view of you shooting someone except in ... a dire emergency ...
>
> The courts don't take such a dim view of this in California, or most other
> western States.  California law makes the presumption that if someone forces
> their way into your home while you are home, that the intruder intends you
> great bodily harm.  Use of lethal force is therefore acceptable.

Have you checked this out with your lawyer?  Does he have background in
armed-self-defence law?  If you haven't, I would urge you to find out for
sure.  The laws on such things generally are more sensible in the western
states, but my understanding is that the laws *everywhere* are generally
much less favorable than most people think.  As an example, does "forces
their way into your home" mean that you have to hear the sound of breaking
glass and splintering wood?  I could see the law making a distinction between
overt frontal assault, presumably for violent purposes, and stealthy entry
which doesn't announce its intent so clearly.

> It is my impression also that a lot of people have a firearm as a talisman --
> they shoot it once a year, if that.  If you are going to have it, you should
> accept that it will regular practice -- at least once a month -- to be a
> serious threat to an intruder.

Agreed!  You are *worse* off with a gun you can't use competently than you
are without one -- if you can't use it well, you are effectively nearly
unarmed, but you are (a) much less cautious, and (b) much more alarming to
an intruder, than if you *were* unarmed.

> [another voice heard from]
> ...My primary mission is to survive, and consider
> that the best way to do so is to be behind my water bed armed.  ...
>
> ...If anyone enters my house at night, I
> would be afraid that I COULD be hurt, and would take all possible measures
> to kill the intruder. I have the provincial notion that this reduces
> recidivism.

I find it difficult to reconcile those two paragraphs; can you elaborate?
If you're behind your water bed (armed or not), you aren't taking all
possible measures to kill an intruder.  If you're seeking him out with
intent to kill, your primary mission is not survival.  Personally, I tend
to agree that reducing recidivism is a good idea, but I'm not enthusiastic
about risking my hide to do it.  I take the behind-the-water-bed view.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (11/18/86)

Article: 11:15

>> [another voice heard from]
>> ...My primary mission is to survive, and consider
>> that the best way to do so is to be behind my water bed armed.  ...
>>
>> ...If anyone enters my house at night, I
>> would be afraid that I COULD be hurt, and would take all possible measures
>> to kill the intruder. I have the provincial notion that this reduces
>> recidivism.
>
>I find it difficult to reconcile those two paragraphs; can you elaborate?
>If you're behind your water bed (armed or not), you aren't taking all
>possible measures to kill an intruder.  If you're seeking him out with
>intent to kill, your primary mission is not survival.  Personally, I tend
>to agree that reducing recidivism is a good idea, but I'm not enthusiastic
>about risking my hide to do it.  I take the behind-the-water-bed view.
>
>				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>				{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

Request for elaboration -

Thanks, Henry; I wasn't quite clear. I figure that the water bed has
much better stopping power than body armor. Second that if the intruder
does come so far as to enter my bedroom, then he means me no good.

In that situation, I would do everything possible to blow the guy
away before he (or she, lets be non-chauvinstic) is even aware that
I am there. I keep a .45 auto loaded with hollow points as a bedside
weapon. I agree that to keep weaponry without practice is dangerous.

In Oregon, defending my domicile and life from a protected position
from an intruder should be imminently justifiable. This is based on
lectures from District Attorneys here. I would much prefer to kill
the intruder than merely to injure them. With the jail space problem
we have, he could be out and back in no time.

BC