[net.sf-lovers] Feminist sf/fantasy

smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (10/12/85)

From: smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

     I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
brothers out there.  Antifeminists please note: I'm not going to argue with
you people, so don't bother to flame me.  You read your kind of literature
and I'll read mine.

Mary Malmros
Center for Academic Computing
Smith College
Northampton, MA   01060

smithcollege.umass-ece$csnet-relay

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (10/13/85)

>      I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
> brothers out there.
> Mary Malmros

You may already have these, but Ursala Leguin and Joanna Russ are the
first names to come to mind.  The former is probably my favorite author.
The latter is pretty good.  One other book is "Native Tongue" by
Suzette Elgin.
--
"Superior firepower is an      Ethan Vishniac
 important asset when          {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

rwl@uvacs.UUCP (Ray Lubinsky) (10/14/85)

> From: smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
>
>      I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
> brothers out there.  Antifeminists please note: I'm not going to argue with
> you people, so don't bother to flame me.  You read your kind of literature
> and I'll read mine.

I understand that Marion Zimmer Bradley has been into this topic, but I've
gotten the impression that she gets pretty soapboxy.  I don't know if you're
into tracts; I'm not.

Try Ursula K. Leguin; she may not be a feminist, but she is a humanist.  I like
her stories, especially her sf.  She's into ``social sf'' -- for example, my
favorite, ``The Left Hand of Darkness''.  This is a novel that really plays
with your sense of gender bias, set on a world where the natives are
hermaphrodites which may cycle (physically) to either masculine or feminine.
It's a good, satisifying read.

Sorry to say, I can't think of many male sf author that don't have a Boy
Scout's view of either the opposite sex or any kind of sex.  However, I do
think that Samuel R. Delaney has never written ``sexist chaff''.
--

Ray Lubinsky		     University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
			     uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!rwl

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (10/15/85)

In article <> smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:

>     I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
>works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
>sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations ...

I'd send you mail, but I can't use the path you give.

James Tiptree, Jr., is a woman & a hell of a good SF writer.  I'd call her a
feminist as well.  She's published several collections: Ten Thousand Light
Years From Home, Star Songs of an Old Primate, Out of the Everywhere, Warm
Worlds and Otherwise.  Also a fine novel, Up the Walls of the World, which
you might especially like: one of the main characters is a black female
programmer who becomes quite a bit more than that.  She has a new novel out,
which I haven't seen yet, called Brightness Falls from the Air.

Judith Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (10/15/85)

Joanna Russ's THE FEMALE MAN is a classic and not badly written either.
Elgin's NATIVE TONGUE and OZARK TRILOGY
MZBradley's more recent Darkover books, starting with THE SHATTERED CHAIN.

These are all comparatively strident.  If you're willing to settle merely
for egalitarian books with strong, independent women, you'll probably get
better science fiction/fantasy. Like Brust's JHEREG and YENDI, LeGuin's
Wizard of Earthsea series, book two or LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS, or McKillip's
Riddle of Stars trilogy or FORGOTTEN BEASTS OF ELD.

Luck,

--Lee Gold

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (10/15/85)

>      I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
> brothers out there.
> Mary Malmros

You might check out a couple of collections of SF by women that came
out a few years back: "Women Of Wonder" and "More Women Of Wonder."
I'm not sure about the name of the second collection. Both were
available in paperback a few years ago.

====================================
Language is a virus from outer space
And hearing your name is better than
Seeing your face  (L. Anderson)
====================================

                            -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (10/15/85)

	I would think that most all of Marian Z. Bradley's books
might fill the bill, too.

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (10/16/85)

[]

> From: smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
>
>      I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
> brothers out there.  Antifeminists please note: I'm not going to argue with
> you people, so don't bother to flame me.  You read your kind of literature
> and I'll read mine.

C. J. Cherryh has written some fine SF and fantasy that touches on feminist
topics.  Try the "Morgaine" trilogy -- Gate of Ivrel, Well of Shiuan, Fires
of Azeroth; the "Faded Sun" triliogy; also Pride of Chanur.
--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA (10/16/85)

From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA

Here are my favorites:

* The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.

* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
are also very well written.

* A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc., Piers
Anthony
I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others, has no
problem at all with feminist doctrine.

* Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley
Again, strong female characters.  A friend of mine pointed out that, "To
Varley, a woman can only be a strong character if she is a Lesbian."

Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
chance to read any of those books.

Enjoy!

Commodore Perry

(-: Ask a silly question ... :-)

chris@ICO.UUCP (10/17/85)

John Norman's Gor series certainly treats women in a different
light than most authors, but it isn't exactly a feminist light.
The Gor series started as a pretty typical Swords and Muscles
book with a strong masculine supremacist bent. As the books
kept coming out, this element kept getting stronger until the
books turned into some wierd softcore bondage pornography.
On Gor (which is on the other side of the sun from the earth)
women are basically property, and enjoy being abused. The books
have gotten very strange, and were never very good to begin with.

"Norman" (it's a pseudonym) has published a book on sexuality.
The subtitle might be "50 ways to tie your lover". Recommended
for a laugh, but too strange to take seriously.

The stuff isn't art, and it isn't amusing, but if you are in the
mood for something different and unpleasant, you might look at one.

		chris
		Chris Kostanick
		decvax!vortex!ism780!ico!chris
		ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!ico!chris

Nope, i stopped buying them after book three.

ml1@ukc.UUCP (M.Longley) (10/17/85)

I am not really sure what qualifies a book to be considered as feminist,
but I think most of the following are at least not sexist, though I may be
wrong about this. I would be interested in learning which authors of SF you
do consider as feminist in particular if they are people I have not so far
read.
Anyway I can at least claim that I think the following books are worth reading.
By far the best is "The Female Man" by Joanna Russ.

Lynn Abbey		Daughter of the Bright Moon | The Black Flame |
			The Guardians

F.M. Busby		Zelde M'Tana | Rissa Kerguelen

Octavia E. Butler	Clay's Ark | Mind of My Mind | Survivor | Patternmaster

Jayge Carr		Leviathan's Deep

Suzy McKee Charnas	Walk to the End of the World | Motherlines

Samuel R. Delany	Babel-17

Suzette Haden Elgin	Native Tongue

Cynthia Felice		Godsfire | The Sunbound | Eclipses

Sally Miller Gearhart	The Wanderground

Mary Gentle		Golden Witchbreed

Phyllis Gotlieb		Sunburst | A Judgement of Dragons |
			Emperor, Swords, Pentacles | The Kingdom of the Cats

Jen Green & Sarah Lefanu   (eds)
			Despatches from the Frontiers of the Female Mind

Virginia Kidd  (ed)	The Eye of the Heron and Other Stories

Lee Killough		The Monitor, the Miners and the Shree |
			The Doppleganger Gambit | Liberty's World

Donald Kingsbury	Courtship Rite

Ursula K. LeGuin	The Dispossessed | The Left Hand of Darkness

Elizabeth A. Lynn	Watchtower | The Dancers of Arun | The Northern Girl

R.A. MacAvoy		Tea With the Black Dragon

Vonda N. McIntyre	The Exile Waiting | Dreamsnake

Sandra Miesel		Dreamrider

Jane Palmer		The Planet Dweller

Joanna Russ		The Female Man | We Who Are About To ... |
			The Two of Them | And Chaos Died |
			The Adventures of Alyx | The Zanzibar Cat |
			Extra(Ordinary) People

Pamela Sargent  (ed)	Women of Wonder | More Women of Wonder

James H. Schmitz	The Universe Against Her | The Lion Game |
			The Demon Breed | The Telzey Toy and Other Stories |
			Agent of Vega

Alice Sheldon		10,000 Light-Years From Home |
			Warm Worlds and Otherwise |
			Star Songs of an Old Primate |
			Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions

John Varley		Titan | Wizard | Demon | The Ophiuchi Hotline |
			In the Hall of the Martian Kings | The Barbie Murders

Joan D. Vinge		The Outcasts of Heaven Belt | Fireship |
			Eyes of Amber and Other Stories

mhs@lanl.ARPA (10/18/85)

> From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>
> Here are my favorites:
>
> * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
> For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
> enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>
> * Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
> Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
> are also very well written.
>
> * A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc., Piers
> Anthony
> I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others, has no
> problem at all with feminist doctrine.
>
> * Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley
> Again, strong female characters.  A friend of mine pointed out that, "To
> Varley, a woman can only be a strong character if she is a Lesbian."
>
> Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
> radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
> chance to read any of those books.

James Tiptree Jr and Andre Norton are women.  The Gor series doesn't
treat women in radically different ways: it views them as objects.
Certainly Tiptree's gender and Norman's views have been discussed
in the net before.  I always thought that James Schmitz's women were
capable people.  Try "The demon breed" or the books about Telzey
Amberdon -- "The lion game" and "A tale of two clocks" are two of
them, I think, but I can't vouch for the titles.  But if you want
explicit feminist doctrine, you won't get it in these books.

meissner@rtp47.UUCP (Michael Meissner) (10/18/85)

In article <4052@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA writes:
>From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>
>Here are my favorites:
>
>* The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
>For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
>enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>
>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
>are also very well written.

Aren't James Tiptree and Andre Norton, both women?

chris@ICO.UUCP (10/18/85)

A minor quibble on Schmitz.
The protagonist in A Tale of Two Clocks is Trigger Argee,
not Telzey Amberdon. The book Agent of Vega has 3 strong female
protagonists, and is my second favorite Schmitz book. (My fav
of course being The Witches of Karres)  Most of Schmitz's writting
has strong female characters.

unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) (10/18/85)

In article <4052@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA writes:
>From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>
>Here are my favorites:
>

>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
>are also very well written.

   ALICE MARY NORTON (writes as Andre Norton) is  and has been female
for a goodly number of years.

--

             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

                   "there's a unicorn in the garden and he's eating a lily"
                    gatech!dcc1!unixcorn

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (10/18/85)

> In article <> smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
> >
> >     I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> >works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> >sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations ...
>
> I'd send you mail, but I can't use the path you give.
>
> James Tiptree, Jr., is a woman & a hell of a good SF writer.

Like Judith, I can't use your path.  I second the Tiptree
nomination, and would like to add:

Jessica Amanda Salmonson: Editor of Amazons and Amazons II
			  (feminist heroic fantasy)
Vonda N. McIntyre        Dreamsnake (Hugo winner) and others
Spider Robinson          Stardance (with Jeanne Robinson) and others
Elizabeth Lynn           The Sardonyx Net (her best in my opinion)
C. J. Cherryh            very prolific
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro     False Dawn (I like her sf much better than her fanatsy)
Kate Wilhelm             many books, excelent writer
Octavia Butler           Mind of my Mind, Clay's Ark, etc
Marta Randall
Jo Clayton               Alytis series (fantasy, ok, but not a favorite)

There are many more, and if you send me a uucp path, I can go
through my library in a detailed way.  I'm generally not willing to
sacrifice good writing for political correctness, so I haven't got
many of the feminist books that are out today.

Ariel Shattan

..!{decvax, ihnp4, allegra, uw-beaver, ucbvax}!tektronix!orca!ariels

arlan@inuxm.UUCP (A Andrews) (10/18/85)

> From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>
> Here are my favorites:
>
> * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
> For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
> enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>
> * Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
> Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
> are also very well written.
>
> * A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc., Piers
> Anthony
> I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others, has no
> problem at all with feminist doctrine.
>
> * Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley
> Again, strong female characters.  A friend of mine pointed out that, "To
> Varley, a woman can only be a strong character if she is a Lesbian."
>
> Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
> radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
> chance to read any of those books.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Commodore Perry
>
> (-: Ask a silly question ... :-)

James Tiptree, Jr., SHOULD write strong female characters, if anyone can,
since he is the pseudonym of Alice Sheldon.  (We all fall into this trap;
I even used "his" name in a novelty item I did in OMNI four years ago--
"Science Fictional Table of Elements.")

--arlan andrews, analog irregular

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (10/19/85)

In article <4052@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA writes:

>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
>are also very well written.

Oh my GAAAWD! My favorite sf/fantasy writer, full name Alice Mary Norton,
once dubbed as the "Grand Dame of sf", called a "male".
A big brrrrphphph (raspberry) to you, Caro !-)

Actually Andre is now her official name.  When she started to write,
she used the name Andrew North, and later, Andre Norton.  Since then she has
written a whole lot of books with this name, so she decided to
have her "real" name changed officially .  All this because way back then
(1950's) there was no such thing as a female sf writer.

She doesn't like to go to conventions. Also, she's already semi-retired now,
so she's not well known (but her books are still widely available).
I like all her Witch World books (a dozen or so of them ).
Lately her stories have become, ur, let's say predictable (rather then
boring).  But with some newer ones she collaborated with another person,
and these are quite good.

>* A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc., Piers
>Anthony
>I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others, has no
>problem at all with feminist doctrine.

AARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!  I'd like to hit anyone who'd recommand the Xanth
novels to a feminist.  THEY ARE SEXIST TO THE EXTREME !!!!!!!
I mean, do you think that in a land where every female tries to look
pretty, wants to show off their legs, and schemes to catch men
for husbands, there is equality among the sexes?
Now I'm not sure whether Piers Anthony did it tongue-in-cheek or not,
since this sexsim appear only briefly in the Blue Adept trilogy and
the Cluster novels, and not in the other books by him that I've read.
(I haven't read any of his recent stuff, they sort of put me off after
the first few chapters).  Anyway I'm not the only person who find the
Xanth novels sexist.  I have no idea what you mean by "female doctrine"
if you believe that a feminist would enjoy these books.
And another bbbrrrrphphphph to you ! >:-(
-----------
--
Henry Chai
a humble student at the Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

pete@stc.UUCP (10/21/85)

Xpath: stc stc-b stc-b stc-a

In article <4052@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA writes:
>From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>
>Here are my favorites:
>
>* The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
>For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
>enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>
>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
>are also very well written.

        MALE WRITERS? Like Currer Bell or George Eliot, I suppose.

>Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
>radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
>chance to read any of those books.

        Unless you're heavily into a Rambo or Conan world-view
        don't bother.
>Enjoy!
>
>Commodore Perry
>
>(-: Ask a silly question ... :-)

        Get a silly answer... 8=}
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	'Only too far is far enough'

clelau@wateng.UUCP (Eric C.L. Lau) (10/21/85)

From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA

> Here are my favorites:
>
> * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
> For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
> enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>
> * Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
> Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
> * A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc., Piers
> Anthony
> I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others, has no
> problem at all with feminist doctrine.
>
> * Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley
> Again, strong female characters.  A friend of mine pointed out that, "To
> Varley, a woman can only be a strong character if she is a Lesbian."
>
> Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
> radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
> chance to read any of those books.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Commodore Perry
>
> (-: Ask a silly question ... :-)

Almost had me fooled till I got to the :-)'s at the end.  I didn't think anyone
could make that many mistakes in one posting.  However I don't think it's a
silly question...

		Eric Lau
		...!{utcsri|ihnp4}!watmath!wateng!clelau

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (10/21/85)

In article <294@inuxm.UUCP> arlan@inuxm.UUCP (A Andrews) writes:
>> From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>>
>> Here are my favorites:
>>
>> * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
>> For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I also
>> enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>>
>> * Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>> Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
>> are also very well written.
>>
>> * A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc., Piers
>> Anthony
>> I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others, has no
>> problem at all with feminist doctrine.
>>
>> * Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley
>> Again, strong female characters.  A friend of mine pointed out that, "To
>> Varley, a woman can only be a strong character if she is a Lesbian."
>>
>> Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
>> radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
>> chance to read any of those books.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Commodore Perry
>>
>> (-: Ask a silly question ... :-)
>
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>James Tiptree, Jr., SHOULD write strong female characters, if anyone can,
>since he is the pseudonym of Alice Sheldon.  (We all fall into this trap;
>I even used "his" name in a novelty item I did in OMNI four years ago--
>"Science Fictional Table of Elements.")
>
>--arlan andrews, analog irregular

Honestly, sometimes I despair, when even smiley faces are not sufficient!
I especially despair on behalf of SF Lovers everywhere who KNOW that
James Tiptree Jr. and Andre Norton are female, KNOW Piers Anthony has
incredibly patronizing views towards women in the Xanth books and
elsewhere, and KNOW that the Gor series is the peak in treating
women as sex slaves.  I don't want to attack Arlan in particular,
because he's just the straw who broke my camel's back.  I just want to
assure Commodore Perry that I know a joke when I see one, and I thought
it was a giggle.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA (10/22/85)

From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>

    Date: 16 Oct 85 13:15:17 PDT (Wednesday)
    From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA

    * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
    For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I
    also enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.

  She's not a man.
								...Keith

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (10/22/85)

> Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
> radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
> chance to read any of those books.

I read  a couple of the Gor novels while waiting for a Greyhound in
Mojave (in other words, I was desperate). My impression of his attitudes
towards women was that it would be rather hard to be much less feminist. By
comparison Phyllis Schlafly is a flaming liberal. As an example, he
seems to believe that a women's deepest desire is to be a slave to
a man. Not having read all the books I can't vouch for all that he's
said but I suspect the rest are similar.

Guy Smith (How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere
            at all?)

nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA (10/22/85)

From: Nancy Connor <nancy@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA>

    From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA

    * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
    For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I
    also enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.

    * Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
    Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female
    characters are also very well written.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this, but for the umpteenth
time (on this list, anyway)... you've made a few mistakes about the
gender of the writers you cite.  One of the reasons that James Tiptree
Jr. and Andre Norton both write about female characters so well is
because they *are* female, not male.

    * A Spell For Chameleon, The Source Of Magic, Castle Roogna, etc.,
    Piers Anthony
    I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others,
    has no problem at all with feminist doctrine.

I don't agree with you about Piers Anthony.  He is very erratic in his
treatment of women.  He tends to make parodies of women and their
problems in many of his works, while he is *saying* that women deserve
better treatment... it seems very hypocritical to me.

	-Nancy Connor

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/22/85)

>      I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
> brothers out there.
> Mary Malmros

What about Kate Wilhelm (sp?), WHERE LATE THE SWEET BIRDS SANG?  She
also has another out that I can't remember the title of right now that
is quite feminist and quite good.  Anyway, I enjoyed it and I'm
definitely not a feminist.  She's just a good author and writes from
the woman's standpoint.  If you want other titles, send me mail and
I'll get them from home.

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

@amd.UUCP (10/24/85)

> James Tiptree, Jr., SHOULD write strong female characters, if anyone can,
> since he is the pseudonym of Alice Sheldon.  (We all fall into this trap;
> I even used "his" name in a novelty item I did in OMNI four years ago--
> "Science Fictional Table of Elements.")
>
> --arlan andrews, analog irregular

Look, being female does NOT guarantee that one can write strong female
characters!!  Nor does being male preclude the ability to write strong female
characters!

Now, if anyone wants a flame session, just for fun, we can cite examples of
female authors who write lousy female characters:

  o Swooning females can be found in great abundance in romance novels, such
    as those marketed by Harlequin (admittedly, most of this stuff is probably
    not science fiction or what we like to call fantasy--at least, I'm guessing
    because you don't think I'm going to read them all!  :-) ); many of these
    are written by women

  o Anne McCaffrey--okay, I have to admit to a fondness for Lessa, but
    _Restoree_ was dreadful!  I'm being a little mean to pick on one book
    out of many.

  o A E Van Vogt's female characters are only really bad when he collaborated
    with his wife--I wonder what her influence was on this.

(Yes, call me ignorant!  But enlighten me with your opinions!)

In addition, many protagnists authors wrote about mostly male (C. L. Moore,
Leigh Brackett, Andre Norton (at least her early stuff))--many of these stories
today might be written with a female protagnist, but at the time they were
written the authors thought, at least it seems obvious that Moore and Norton
thought so, that no one would take seriously a book by a woman--a female
protagnist would be preposterous.  And the same is true for male authors: I
think today you have more of an opportunity to make a choice about the gender
of your characters--they don't have to translate into

		strong, carries a sword  ==> male

And, well, maybe this is too late, but if I've insulted your favorite author:
look, I read the stuff, didn't I?  (And I'll probably read more too!)

Disclaimer: I speak for myself (at best), not for the evil vaxian empire.
L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (10/24/85)

From postnews Thu Oct 24 14:33:58 1985

> >      I'm looking for the names of some feminist sf/fantasy authors and/or
> > works.  I've already got a few favorites, but I'm sick of sorting through
> > sexist chaff and I could really use some recommendations from sisters or
> > brothers out there.
> > Mary Malmros
>
> You may already have these, but Ursala Leguin and Joanna Russ are the
> first names to come to mind.  The former is probably my favorite author.
> The latter is pretty good.  One other book is "Native Tongue" by
> Suzette Elgin.
> --

Another writer is Marion Zimmer Bradley.  She has cranked out accept-
able to very good SF.  In the SF catagoy, she has a series of books
on a "colonized/forgotton/decline to barbarismpainful move to civil-
ization/special power discovery/rediscovery by earth" planet called
"Darkover".  Some of the Darkover books apparently were co-authored by
member(s) (?) of her fan club (Darkover Society?) (I am fuzzy on
details).  In this group, I recommend Thenarda (sp) House, a beautiful
book on friendship and switching places between alien cultures.  It
is currently available in main line bookstores.

Marion has branched out into fantasy, writing (in her own words)
"my first non-pot-boiler serious bood"  "Mists of Avalon",  a very
large book on some best seller lists.  It is very rich and conse-
quently a slow read.  I have had to put it aside for later several
times which is a novel (pun intended) experience for me as I devour
the average SF/Fantasy in 5-6 hours.

Marion also is a frequent contributor to the Theives world series
(___. ___. Asperin, editor).

Terry (a brother)
ihnp4!whuts!6243tes
.

@amd.UUCP (10/24/85)

Tiptree, Norton, males; Anthony, Norman, feminism...you know, ol' fen, I think
we got ourselves another "_Mindkiller_ by Spider Robinson", here.

:-)  L S Chabot

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/25/85)

Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA says:
>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female characters
>are also very well written.

Please!   Andre Norton is the pen name of a female.  I used to know
her real name, but can't bring it to mind at the moment.

--

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (10/25/85)

In article <1009@decwrl.UUCP> @amd.UUCP writes:
>Now, if anyone wants a flame session, just for fun, we can cite examples of
>female authors who write lousy female characters:
>
>  o Anne McCaffrey--okay, I have to admit to a fondness for Lessa, but
>    _Restoree_ was dreadful!  I'm being a little mean to pick on one book
>    out of many.

Hear! Hear! I've often thought of said book as a Harlequin Romance
in an sf setting.  _Decision on Doona_ is equally horrible: women are seen as
the belong-in-the-kitchen-and-overly-sensitive type.  There was one passage
about a little boy describing in detail how the "native" aliens kill
a local beast for food, and his sister started crying and said something
like "Horrible! Horrible!" and ran to her room.  The mother gave the boy
an angry look, rushed after the girl to comfort her, while father and son
looked at each other in understanding and smiled. Yuck!
But I must point out that comtemporary McCaffery, e.g. "Crystal Singer",
treats the two sexes equally. (the two "bad" books are very early McCaffery)
--
Henry Chai, just a humble student at the

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/26/85)

> From:	dec-miles!chabot	(Lisa Chabot)

> ...just for fun, we can cite examples of
> female authors who write lousy female characters:
>
>  o Swooning females can be found in great abundance in romance novels, such
>    as those marketed by Harlequin (admittedly, most of this stuff is probably
>    not science fiction or what we like to call fantasy--at least, I'm guessing
>    because you don't think I'm going to read them all!  :-) ); many of these
>    are written by women

I almost hate to tell you this, Lisa, but there is *one*
Harlequin romance that is fantasy ("our" kind of fantasy):
THE FLOWER OF ETERNITY by Margery Hamilton. It's a "lost
race" fantasy. If you want to read it [:-)], I have a copy.

[No, I haven't read it; I found out about it from a friend
for whom bibliography is as much a business as for me.]

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">

liz@unirot.UUCP (Mamaliz ) (10/26/85)

In article <544@utflis.UUCP> chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) writes:
>In article <1009@decwrl.UUCP> @amd.UUCP writes:
>>Now, if anyone wants a flame session, just for fun, we can cite examples of
>>female authors who write lousy female characters:
>>
>>  o Anne McCaffrey--okay, I have to admit to a fondness for Lessa, but
>>    _Restoree_ was dreadful!  I'm being a little mean to pick on one book
>>    out of many.
>>
>Hear! Hear! I've often thought of said book as a Harlequin Romance
>in an sf setting.

McCaffrey wrote Restoree as a spoof.  At least that is what she has been
saying for a number of years.  I think it is a fun spoof, but then, I do
not expect everything I read to mirror my politics.

lizzy

chk@purdue.UUCP (Chuck Koelbel) (11/05/85)

> (Yes, call me ignorant!  But enlighten me with your opinions!)
>
> In addition, many protagnists authors wrote about mostly male (C. L. Moore,
> Leigh Brackett, Andre Norton (at least her early stuff))--many of these stories
> today might be written with a female protagnist, but at the time they were
> written the authors thought, at least it seems obvious that Moore and Norton
> thought so, that no one would take seriously a book by a woman--a female
> protagnist would be preposterous.  And the same is true for male authors: I
> think today you have more of an opportunity to make a choice about the gender
> of your characters--they don't have to translate into
>
> 		strong, carries a sword  ==> male

I have to agree with you in general - VERY few females in sword & sorcery
tales have anything resembling character.  But C. L. Moore did write a series
of stories about a woman warrior (and a good one at that).  The stories have
been collected in _Jirel_of_Joirey_ (spelling approximate).  I haven't read
all of them, but the ones I have read are excellent.  And Jirel (the heroine)
is, in my opinion, a good character.

For those of you who want more information, the setting for most (maybe all)
of the stories is Castle Joirey, a keep owned by Jirel.  The castle is unusual
in that it has an entrance to Hell in the dungeon.  Through various circum-
stances, Jirel is forced to enter Hell time and again.  One unusual feature
of Moore's version of Hell is that it is not all conventional devils and
demons - it is more a psychological horror than a physical one.  It is an
idea that was way ahead of its time in fantasy short stories.

							Chuck Koelbel

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (11/15/85)

Would the originator of this subject please stand up? I want to thank you.
Not only was the discussion interesting, but I've been turned on to a whole
new (for me) literary genre. Following some suggestions in reply to your
posting, I've read "Northern Girl" by Elizabeth Lynn, "Warrior Woman" by
Marion Zimmer Bradley, and am currently reading "Picnic On Paradise" by
Joanna Russ. All three are delightful. Would it be possible for you to
summarize to the net, or to me by e-mail the replys to your posting? Thanks.
--

        Hank Buurman    Tektronix Inc.   ihnp4!tektronix!dadlac!hankb
	* "I've seen things you people you people wouldn't believe. *