[mod.rec.guns] Gun Cleaning

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/11/87)

Article: 1:12

I would like to hear some of the various opinions on gun cleaning.
Topics such as how often, and with which brand cleaners and oils.
I have a feeling that these opinions will vary quite a bit,
so a mail response is OK, and I'll summarize later.

My inexperienced opinion is to follow the recommendation of the Outers
cleaning kit that I have. They recommend a cleaning and oiling
immediately after the weapon is used.

The cleaning process is to use a wire brush to remove remaining lead
deposits in the barrel, then use patch soaked in solvent to remove
powder, dirt, etc., and then dry patch, and then oil. The exterior is
wiped with a patch soaked in solvent, and then dry wiped, and then
oiled. The weapon is then ready for storage. They especially warn
against fingerprints as potential sources of rust.

Thanks for the info.

Don Blevins

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/14/87)

Article: 1:20

What one mfr recommends is never use a wire brush, only rarely
use a plastic brush, but clean after every use with cleaning patches.

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/14/87)

Article: 1:29

I clean my rifle after each time I shoot.  I've heard folks say they
"never" clean their rifle or pistol, and have yet to hear an explanation
with which I agree.  I learned about rifle cleaning from my college coach,
my gunsmith (he rebarelled my Walther GX-1 smallbore free rifle), and the
Army Marksmanship Unit's gunsmith.

My cleaning procedure:

	- run a Hoppe's-soaked patch through the barrel;
	- run a brass wire brush (which has been dipped in
	  Hoppe's) through the barrel a couple of times;
	- run a series of dry patches through, until they
	  start to come out clean;
	- clean the bolt (especially the bolt face and the
	  firing pin), usually with a tiny toothbrush dipped
	  in Hoppe's, and wipe the bolt.

I do ALL my barrel cleaning from the breech end, using a cleaning rod
guide.  With my air rifle (which I only clean occasionally -- there's no
powder or primer fouling), I carefully run some monofilament down from the
muzzle, attach the cleaning patch (DRY PATCH ONLY!  NO SOLVENT OR OIL or
the rifle will be all over the paper for the many, many shots), and
carefully pull it up through so that the patch starts at the breech.  (The
air rifle procedure is likely overkill -- it's awfully hard to nick a
barrel with monofilament!)

I use the same procedure on my stainless barrel (the GX-1) and the blued
barrels (Anschutz 1407, Schultz&Larsen).

I don't oil the barrels of my rifles, unless I'm going to store them for
an extended period.  When I have oiled it, I like to run a Hoppe's-soaked
patch and then a couple of dry patches through prior to shooting.  I'll
also probably shoot a couple of fouling shots to ensure the barrel has
reach steady state.
--

Alan M. Marcum				Sun Microsystems, Technical Consulting
marcum@nescorna.Sun.COM			Mountain View, California

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/14/87)

Article: 1:31

   That is a good, thorough process. Modern smokeless powders relieve the
urgency to clean right after use. I would add just one thing. If you are
interested in accuracy, wipe out the barrel with a dry cloth *before* you
use the gun. Otherwise your first few shots will be wild.

--Brian

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/22/87)

Article: 1:41

I'm sort of surprised that no one has mentioned
the importance of a good, STIFF cleaning rod, especially
for the smaller calibers.  Those soft aluminum rods
bend inside the bore and scrape against it, leaving
a deposit of aluminum.  I can't see the sense of
trying to remove powder fouling only to replace it
with aluminum dust.

The best cleaning rods for the money are the
steel military surplus ones.

Jon Kaplowitz

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/22/87)

Article: 1:43

In article <2202@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> brian@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Brian Godfrey)
wrote:

>                                  I would add just one thing. If you are
>interested in accuracy, wipe out the barrel with a dry cloth *before* you
>use the gun. Otherwise your first few shots will be wild.

With my GX-1, I've found that running a patch through the barrel prior to
shooting (or shooting a fouling shot or two) is unnecessary.  The rifle
will print one hole right out of the case.