[mod.rec.guns] Seek info on magnum semi-auto handgun

jkh@jade.UUCP (03/03/87)

I'm not a regular reader of this newsgroup, so please excuse me if
this subject has been covered recently.

I'm looking for a high-quality magnum caliber semi-auto handgun.
By 'high-quality' I mean that it should function reliably, have
reasonable accuracy, and good attention to finish and appearance.
Also, it must use off-the-shelf ammo.

Recently, I saw an ad for a Grizzly.  I asked a local gun dealer for
his opinion.  He said the quality was "trash".

I have just received some promotional literature on the Israeli Arms
Desert Eagle -- uses standard rimmed 44 mag cartridges.

  1. Does anyone have any comments on the quality of either the
     Grizzly or the Desert Eagle ?

  2. Any other brands I should be considering?

Thank you for your help.

Steve Shellans
Tektronix, Beaverton OR
{decvax, wyvax, ihnp4, ucbvax} !tektronix!tektools!steves

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (03/09/87)

Article: 3:16

Shooting Times 87 Buyers guide compared the Desert Eagle to the
Coonan Arms Model B in .357 magnum (I believe the .44 Desert Eagle
is only recent).

The Coonan is stainless, recoil operated, looks like a 1911 copy
is about the size of a Beretta 92F with its 5" barrel.  42 ounces.

They liked its trigger and hated loading the cartridges. (7 max)
Some reliability problems until broken in with 200 rounds.  Supposedly
takes +P .38 Special, but requires the hottest load to cycle
the action.  Will take cast bulletts.

Desert Eagle is gas operated, available in most finishes.
It is huge: 10.5 inches long, 5.7 tall, 4 lbs, requiring two hands
to use.  6" barrel.  9 rounds.

Very heavy trigger pull, no recoil.  Won't take unjacketed
lead bullets due to fouling.  Slightly more accurate, well matched
to Federal 158-grain JHP.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (03/09/87)

Article: 3:19

    What do you plan to use the gun for?  This is a major question.  Do you
    really need something of that caliber, i.e., 44 magnum?  Did you know
    that 9mm silvertips have the same stopping power as a 44 magnum?  Also,
    magnum rounds are expensive.
		     --scott