[mod.rec.guns] Submission for mod.rec.guns

jkh@jade.UUCP (05/16/86)

Article: 5:15

   I recently acquired a Thompson Auto Ordinance .45 (1911 A1).  Unfortunately,
the first trip to the range revealed problems with ejection of spent casings,
finally culminating in the slide/barrel locking up completely.  Is this sort
of thing common in .45s?  I would also like to know what sort of mods people
have had done to their .45s to improve feeding, accuracy, etc.  On the whole,
I think I'll really like it once I get the bugs sorted out.

   I am also searching for a reasonably good .22 target rifle.  I can't
afford an Anschutz (pant, drool), but I'm open to suggestions ...

-- Carl Kuck  (apply all standard disclaimers to the preceeding babble)

UseNet (west) : {wherever}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!se-sd!cbk    `O_o'
       (east) : {wherever}!ihnp4!ncr-sd!se-sd!cbk       ( )   Aak! Phft!
PacBell: (619) 450-6271 (w), 944-1705 (h)

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

jkh@jade.UUCP (05/28/86)

Article: 5:17

>    I recently acquired a Thompson Auto Ordinance .45 (1911 A1).  Unfortunately,
> the first trip to the range revealed problems with ejection of spent casings,
> finally culminating in the slide/barrel locking up completely.  Is this sort
> of thing common in .45s?  I would also like to know what sort of mods people
> have had done to their .45s to improve feeding, accuracy, etc.  On the whole,
> I think I'll really like it once I get the bugs sorted out.
>
> -- Carl Kuck  (apply all standard disclaimers to the preceeding babble)

My Colt Government Model .45 worked perfectly right out of the box.  Buy
cheap and you get cheap.

Clayton E. Cramer

jkh@jade.UUCP (06/06/86)

Article: 6:3

You may be able to get info on your Thompson from:
	Harvey Tallman
	RD3 Daniels Rd
	Saratoga NY

He's not a dealer, but he has several of these and does most of his own
gunsmithing. Mention my name if you call or write.
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                                       /
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

jkh@jade.UUCP (06/10/86)

Article: 6:5

>> From jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) Thu Jun  5 19:54:15 1986
>>
>> Article: 6:4
>>
>> I am on the verge of purchasing my first handgun and I need
>> some advice. The models which seem the most appealing are the
>> Colt and S&W .45 automatics, and the Browning and Beritta 9mm
>> autos.  Some of the information I am looking for includes:

>> 1) quality of handguns- (tendencies to jam, quality of
>>                         workmanship, ease of operation)
>> 2) relative performance between the .45 and 9mm
>>    calibers
>> 3) pricing and future value-(i.e. is the Browning worth the price?)
>> 4) cost and availability of ammo for these guns
The cost differential between .45 and 9mm ammo is negligable, given
the preponderance of cheap militarty-style ammmo nowadays.
>> In the interest of avoiding another "The .45 will blow off an
>> arm" debate, I ask that the more emotionally enthusiastic
>> owners of these guns try to keep a more objective view, but I
>> would like some help in choosing what might be a family
>> heirloom.  Any advice in this area would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> 	David Fannin

Berrettas (sp?) are very reliable; they seldom jam, will digest even
cruddy ammo (not that you should ever use such), and offer the
feature of double action, which is nice if your ammo has a hard
primer.  Disadvantages of Berrettas are a) expense, b) aluminum
alloy frame, and c) pretty heavy trigger pulls in double and single
action.

If you are going to buy a .45, I would recommend the Colts.  Don't
get the Gold Cup, get the Government Model.  Gold Cups have more
features, but are more likely to have problems which require a
gunsmiths attention (because they have more features to break).
Colt also apparently has a new Combat Model out, which has certain
features such as beveled mag well, large ejection port, and other
features which are nice to have.  I purchased a Mk. IV, Series 70
years ago (for $299!), and recently had the following mods made
to it; a) accurization tightening up, b) beveled mag well, c) enlarged
ejection port, d) bobbed hammer, e) 4 lb single stage trigger,
f) recoil buffer, g) ramped and throated.  I'm very pleased with
it, and it is very accurate.

Of course, you may want to consider some of the smaller .45's, the
Detonics, or the new Colt offerings.  Or there is the midsize approach,
the Colt Commander.  In any case, my personal preference runs to
all steel firearms, especially since they are likely to last longer
as a family heirloom.

If you get a high quality firearm in either .45 or 9mm you will
have made an excellent choice.  Only you however can make the
final decision, based on concealability , safety, economic,
ergonomic and other considerations.  My personal bias however
is the .45.  All other things being equal, a larger bullet will
have a better chance of stopping (not necessarily killing) your
opponent, which is probably what you want to do.  My first handgun
was a .45, and both I and my younger brother had no problem hitting
a target at 15 yards.  Forget what people might tell you about,
"the recoil of a .45 could break your wrist", it's bull, all bull.

				Robert Allen
				robert@sri-spam.ARPA

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/17/86)

Article: 9:15

With all this talk about autos maybe someone out there can offer
some wisdom to me.  I own several revolvers but would like to get
an auto.  Problem, all my pistols are 38 and .357 and I would really
like to stay that way (makes reloading easy).  Does any one have
experience with the 'Dessert Eagle' or 'Coonan' autos?  Do they use
regular .357 rimmed cases or are they rimless like the .357 automag?
Are they reliable, or do they jam alot (like the automag)?  Any
advise or experiences would help, thanks.

		-Pete-

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (12/16/86)

Article: 12:12

The first few pages of the Shotgun News normally carries a small
ad from a fellow in Conneticutt (as I recall) who bought a bunch
of parts when High Standard went out of business.  I don't have his
address but will look for it in some copies of S.N. I have.

I have a high standard but I don't recall the model designation.  If
it's an HB then I should be able to mail you a copy of the exploded
diagram that comes with the gun.  Failing that, you should be able
to purchase one of the available Gun Digest books that has nothing
but exploded diagrams for various guns, surely the High Standard  is
in there.  BTW, which part(s) broke?

Robert Allen,
robert@spam.istc.sri.com

jkh@jade.UUCP (03/30/87)

>> The Glock is not my idea of   a fine firearm.  The frame is plastic with
>> embedded sheet metal for the frame rails.  Service life is 5000 rounds.
>> If you want one, by all means, but do not expect it to give the service
>> life of a conventional pistol.

	From the Rumors department:

	Rumor has it that imported Glock pistols have had problems with
	the front/rear sight(s) blowing off after a few hundred rounds.
	At least one person I heard from mentioned an errant glock which
	had gone full auto.  The fact that both the Glock and the Aug
	are used by the Austrian army doesn't impress me much, after all,
	our army fought and used the M16.  Besides, when was the last time
	you heard of the Austrian army in a war?

    Glover (upon discovering that Gibson is his new partner):
	"God hates me, that's what the problem is!"

    Gibson (blowing cigarette smoke out his nose):
	"Hate 'em back, it works for me!"

    Gibson (later in the film, with handgun):
	"PUNTA, PUNTA, PUNTA!!"

Robert Allen,
robert@spam.istc.sri.com