[mod.rec.guns] Submission for mod-rec-guns

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/10/86)

Article: 10:21

From: andrew@gatech.EDU (Andrew Ditchfield)
Subject: Explorer II
Date: 3 Oct 86 16:54:28 GMT

I would like to buy an Exz Explorer II .22 by Charter Arms.  Does anyone
have any opinions about this gun ?

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/30/86)

Responding-System: shark.TEK.COM

Article: 10:50

From: alang@shark.TEK.COM (Alan Geist)
Subject: Re: Who would steal a bolt?
Date: 27 Oct 86 21:38:35 GMT

In article <1463@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> jkh@jade.UUCP writes:
>Article: 10:33
>
>The point that I wanted to make is that someone could
>break into your car and take your gun parts or steal your
>car.  Then what do you do with your guns?
>
>Also, cars do not provide a very hospitable
>climate for steel parts, especially in the winter.
>(This doesn't apply if you live in the Mojave
>Desert.)
>
>Jon Kaplowitz
>ihnp4!erc3ba!jfka

Another reason not to do this with bolts or some other action related parts
is that a removed bolt, without exception (that I've ever seen), has the
hammer back, and thus the spring is compressed.  After long term storage in
this manner, the spring can so weaken as to partially or completely prevent
firing of the weapon.  I have seen this happen on a number of occasions.
For this reason, actions, in or out of the gun, should always be stored with
the hammer forward, and the spring relaxed.  You wouldn't believe the
embarrasment associated with raising a gun at a bird or game and only hearing
a slight click.  It could be much more than embarrassing if the gun were
needed for self defense.

Alan Geist
tektronix!shark!alang

The Doctor: "I'm dangerous when I don't know what I'm doing!"

jkh@jade.UUCP (12/11/86)

>In Oregon, defending my domicile and life from a protected position
>from an intruder should be imminently justifiable. This is based on
>lectures from District Attorneys here. I would much prefer to kill
>the intruder than merely to injure them. With the jail space problem
>we have, he could be out and back in no time.

I have a friend on one of the local police forces around here that
has dealt with home self-defense situations before. He had a policy
that was very similar to this for different reasons.

	"Dead men don't tell lies."
--
Jeff Lee
CSNet:	Jeff @ GATech		ARPA:	Jeff%GATech.CSNet @ CSNet-Relay.ARPA

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/07/87)

Article: 1:7

I am looking to buy a 9mm pistol.  Right now I am considering the
Browning and the S & W models.  I would like some input from the
readers on the advantages and disadvantages of both, as well as
any other recommendations on 9mm pistols.

                                     Thanks,
                                     J. Keith Brown
                                     (kbrown)

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/22/87)

Article: 1:40

When I was shooting competitively in the service our coaches would
not allow us to clean the barrels at all before or during a match.
After a match we cleaned the moving parts (match grade M1s) and lightly oiled
them.  We ran a patch thru the bore coated with nitro solvent then a dry patch
and that was it.

Their theory was that the less wear on the barrel the better.  I know
that I shot the same gun for two years, put about 5000 rounds
thru it and at the end of that two years it was as accurate
as the day I got it.  The scores posted by that gun were a function
of the shooters ability not the gun.

I have continued to practice this cleaning method with my personal
weapons.

--
Mark O'Shea
marko@tekecs.GWD.TEK

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/22/87)

Article: 1:42

I am interested in buying a good quality BB/pellet gun for backyard plinking
(I live in the city limits, so it's illegal for me to fire my .30-06 or 12
gauge, for some reason :-) ).  I looked over some of the "pump" guns in a local
sporting goods store, but they all have a lot of plastic, artificially large
barrels to make them look like firearms, etc.  I also noticed that the top
of the line Daisy (at least the most expensive one at this store) wasn't even
a pump.  My impression has been that the pump guns develop more power than
the others.  Is this true?  Other things I am interested in are accuracy,
adjustability of the sights, and overall quality.  Price is definately a
factor, but less of one than the other aspects.  One other thing I noticed
was that most of them have stocks made to fit an eight year old.  Can anyone
steer me in the right direction.

Alan Geist
tektronix!shark!alang

The Doctor: "I'm dangerous when I don't know what I'm doing!"

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/22/87)

Article: 1:46

I'm trying to reconstruct this from memory, so my apologies if I
haven't got all the details correct....

I was at a gun collectors show last weekend when I noticed a
.308 semi-automatic stainless steel pistol made by a company called
"AMT" located in California (Cupertino?  Or was that just my
imagination?)

I'd like to know a little bit more about the company AND the pistol.
Has anyone out there fired one of these (or own one?)  I'd be curious
to know what you think about it (and why...)

Thanks in advance.

jkh@jade.UUCP (01/31/87)

>Beretta 92F	4.9"	15	$685	Italy	Compact due out
Update on Beretta compact:

Beretta 92FC:  Barrel length 109mm, 13 shot clip.  All other specs
except dimensions (length, width), line of sight, and weight are
identical to the military 92F.

--
 Robert J. Granvin                                 UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!rjg
 Programmer/Analyst - Technical Services            ATT: (612) 894-9494

jkh@jade.UUCP (01/31/87)

>>                                  I would add just one thing. If you are
>>interested in accuracy, wipe out the barrel with a dry cloth *before* you
>>use the gun. Otherwise your first few shots will be wild.
>With my GX-1, I've found that running a patch through the barrel prior to
>shooting (or shooting a fouling shot or two) is unnecessary.  The rifle
>will print one hole right out of the case.

   My suggestion was in response to a procedure which ended with oiling the
barrel. If you leave oil in the barrel it does two things. Your chamber and
back-pressures will vary until the oil is all forced/burned out (two or three
shots), and since the oil has collected on the lower side of the inside of
the barrel the bullet will exit with a wobble. I have a .22 which will
literally drive nails (I have done it and it is also fun to split bullets
on the edge of an axe.) and I have seen this effect time and again. I never
minded shooting a couple of extra shots to get me and the gun warmed up, but
then I am not a "serious" shooter. I do it for fun.

--Brian

jkh@jade.UUCP (01/31/87)

   I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk and wonder what it is worth. It was made
in 1976 and has the inscription: "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"
roll stamped on the barrel. I have probably shot less than 200 rounds through
it. I can account for almost every shot. (I saved almost all spent shells and
reloaded about 50 of them once.) So the gun is almost new. I am just curious
what these are going for since I haven't priced any gun in almost ten years.
I also wonder what I must do to protect myself legally in case I sell it to
someone who commits a crime with it. It is not registered (not necessary in
Oregon :-), but I did fill out the paperwork mandated by the 1968 gun law when
I bought it, so I presume it is traceable to me.
   I would appreciate any estimates and realize that you can't inspect it
over the net. (If anyone in Oregon wants to buy it, I also have some reloading
gear and a very nice holster/belt for it.)
   Thanks.

--Brian M. Godfrey
  Sequent Computer Systems
  !tektronix!sequent!brian

jkh@jade.UUCP (01/31/87)

> I'm trying to reconstruct this from memory, so my apologies if I
> haven't got all the details correct....
>
> I was at a gun collectors show last weekend when I noticed a
> .308 semi-automatic stainless steel pistol made by a company called
> "AMT" located in California (Cupertino?  Or was that just my
> imagination?)

I think you mean the AMT Backup .380.  AMT is located in Southern
California near Arcadia or Monrovia.  (AMT orginally stood for Arcadia
Machine & Tool).

> I'd like to know a little bit more about the company AND the pistol.
> Has anyone out there fired one of these (or own one?)  I'd be curious
> to know what you think about it (and why...)

I had the .22LR version for a while.  Very accurate (for a 2.5" barrel),
very compact, so easy to conceal, even under a T-shirt, a real bitch to
clean, and built to tighter tolerances than I like in a combat gun
(which may be why it's so accurate).  The magazine holds eight rounds,
and both calibers have a grip safety as well as a thumb safety, which
is the principal reason I bought it.

A friend had the .380 ACP version (5 round magazine).  The recoil was
so severe that he finally sold it.  Everytime I saw him fire it at the
range, the recoil was so bad the front of the triggerguard would draw
blood from his trigger finger.

If you really need something that compact, consider the Colt .380 Mustang,
which is just a bit bigger.

Clayton E. Cramer

jkh@jade.UUCP (01/31/87)

>I was at a gun collectors show last weekend when I noticed a
>.308 semi-automatic stainless steel pistol made by a company called
>"AMT" located in California (Cupertino?  Or was that just my
>imagination?)
>
>I'd like to know a little bit more about the company AND the pistol.
>Has anyone out there fired one of these (or own one?)  I'd be curious
>to know what you think about it (and why...)

I have the AMT .380 BACKUP. It's made out of a very poor stainless steel.
It rust fairly easily and the slide has worn quite noticeably. Ejected
casings are shot straight back into the shooters forehead, if they make
it out of the gun at all. Round nose bullets are the only type that feed
with any reliability. With the fixed sights and the very short
barrel it's not very accurate. It's also slightly painful to shoot due to
so much power in such a small gun. The fact that the hammer is not exposed
makes the gun worthless for self protection and very unsafe. If there is
a round in the chamber the hammer will be cocked. So it should be carried
with no round in the chamber which means if it were needed for protection
you would pull it then slide the hammer back to load it the get ready to
fire, which is to much to do in a pressure situation. And I hate to think
someone would carry this gun loaded. Either get a revolver (recommended)
or a better quality auto.

jkh@jade.UUCP (02/04/87)

For good quality air rifles at a reasonable price, try
Cabela's
812 - 13th Ave
Sidney, Neb 69160

1986 Spring Catalog pg 179 shows some RWS air rifles in the
$150 range. These rifles have adjustable triggers and boast
muzzle velocities of >900 fps.  I can speak for their accuracy
and can guarantee once you have fired one of these  you will
NEVER go back to Daisy. [All are .177 cal.]

jkh@jade.UUCP (02/04/87)

If you want to sell it, let me know how much you want for it.
I have an old Blackhawk (serial number 000049) and I really like the way
they handle.

                                             Rick.
--
/*  This is the standard disclaimer that the above junk is mine alone.  */
/*                  path={hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!wre                      */

jkh@jade.UUCP (02/12/87)

If you want more info on pellet guns, call Beeman's in San Rafael.
Also, I have a real nice Beeman 850 pellet gun I want to sell...If you're
interested please let me know.

My phone: 408-721-8139 or 408-946-5656.

			--scott

jkh@jade.UUCP (02/24/87)

Looking for 20 ga. dies for a Lyman Easy Loader   Shotshell Press . This
reloading press has been discontinued for a number of years so the parts are
not available from the company . I lost one of the dies in a move ,part of the
final crimp stage and need a replacement . If you have these dies and want to
sell them let me know what you want for them . Reply to :

paul bourgeois

!tektronix!sequent!paul

jkh@jade.UUCP (02/24/87)

I looking to obtain replicas of several English revolvers from c.1880.
The specific guns were made by Adams, Webley, and Tranter.  The only
company I know of that makes Replica Revolvers is Collector's Armoury,
Inc. in VA.  They don't have any of these models.  Does anyone know of
any other companies that might make replicas of these guns?

thanks,
ds
--

uucp:  ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, ihnp4!packard}!rutgers!topaz!steiner
arpa:  Steiner@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU or Steiner@RUTGERS.ARPA

jkh@jade.UUCP (02/24/87)

	2-16-87

	Indiana for the first time had a "handgun" season for Deer (1986).
	Not being a shotgun enthusiast, I eagerly gathered up my old smelly
	hunting coat, several hundred rounds of ammo, and headed for the
	south forty.  However, as I soon discovered, I have become more
	mature (and better). Either the sights or the target had a tendency
	to blur (depending on whether I was looking through my bi-focals
	or not).

	To resolve the problem, I would like to mount a scope on my stainless
	Redhawk 44 mag.  In looking over the field I have decided on using
	either a Buehler single piece mount or have Ruger install a pair of
	their removable rings on the barrel rib.

	The Buehler mounts are by the far cheapest but require that the
	adjustable rear sight be removed.  I like the idea of being able to
	retain the original sights and the removability of the Ruger system.
	However Ruger wants $148.50 plus shipping, they have to replace
	the barrel.

	1. Has anyone had experience with the Ruger system?

	2. Does the clamping action of the mount have a tendency to loosen
	   with use?

	3. Can the scope be removed and replaced and still retain
	   it's zero?

	4. Any recommendations as to brand - model of scope?

	Also I am thinking of purchasing a Dillon "Square Deal" press for
	$135 with dies for both 357 and 44.

	1. Has anyone had personal experience with this tool?  I noticed
	   the same question was asked several months ago but I apparently
	   missed the answer.

	2. Is the Crimping action separate from the bullet seating function?
	   It looks like it might be at station #4 in a separate die.  Their
	   picture and literature is unclear.

	I would appreciate your comments and/or recommendations on these
	subjects.

	Thanks,

	R. W. Finck (The Sour Kraut)

jkh@jade.UUCP (03/30/87)

.
.I disagree with the advice to use such small shot.  Even at close ranges
.#8 would most likely produce mayhem but not lethal force.  #4 buck is as
.large as I would go but I would think very hard before using anything
.smaller than BB.  A 12 gauge generally has muzzle energy comparable to
.a 30-06 but you can spread it too fine.  Very small shot dissipates all
.of its energy in barely 2-3 inches of penetration -- fine for birds, and
.less than half of what is needed, according to study, for a stopping-grade
.hit.  It is definitely not enough for someone high enough on drugs or
.adrenalin or psychosis to attack a man holding a shotgun.  The truth
.probably lies somewhere between #4 buck and BBs.

Frank,

Would you believe that a 20ga skeet load of #9s at 15 feet will penetrate
3 pieces of 1/2" sheet rock.  Leaving a hole about 3" thru the three pieces
and putting a bulge in a fourth piece.  That was, by the way, out of a skeet
choked barrel.  I did it last year as an experiment with some old sheet rock
I was going to get rid of.  The pieces were 2-1/2" apart.  About the same
as a house wall.

You can draw whatever conclusions you wish from this.

--
Mark O'Shea
marko@tekecs.GWD.TEK