[mod.rec.guns] reloading

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/10/86)

Article: 9:11

>I want to start reloading .38 and .357 mag shells and was wondering if
>anyone could recommend what I should get as far as equipment and supplies.
>Could you also include expected costs.  Thanks.
>
>			Brad
>			ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix459

Hurray! Something besides flashlights to talk about. I'm not too sure on
some of the current prices, but I'll tell what I did and why. I also
wanted to start reloading for my .357 (Stainless Blackhawk), since I
figured I could do a lot better than the factory stuff I had shot. When
I decided to buy, I also wanted to be able to reload rifle ammo in the
future, so that influenced my decision some. Anyways, after looking around
a lot, I settled on an RCBS Rockchucker. I actually bought it as part of
an RCBS package, along with another accessory package. Together, the two
packages gave me:

Rockchucker press w/ .357 dies and three bullet seating plugs
(Some people buy .38 dies and use them for both .38 and .357)
Bullet lube pad w/lube goop
powder measure
scale
powder trickler
case neck and primer pocket brushes
powder funnel

plus a couple of other little things I don't remember. I added the RCBS
case trimmer and a couple more loading blocks, plus a Lee primer tool
(the one with the primer tray). I have been very satisfied with this
setup, and to date have reloaded over 12,000 rounds of .357, 9mm, .30-06,
.223, .44 mag, .45 acp, and .357 Herret. The Rockchucker has performed
with no sweat, including caseforming for the Herret. Every now and then
I look with lust on the Dillon progressive (RL-450?), but I'm not happy
with the idea of not being able to inspect each of my cases after they're
cleaned and de-primed. Also, I like inserting primers with the Lee tool.
I currently work in batches of 500 pistol or 200 rifle cases. In order:
- de-prime
- polish
- inspect for cracks, etc.
- re-prime
- add powder
- seat and crimp bullet
I do this for all the case in the batch. I usually have a bunch of cases
aroumd that have been cleaned and primed, so I can add powder and seat
and crimp bullets at the rate of about 100-125 rounds/hour and still be
careful.

I use the big Lyman vibrating polisher to clean cases after de-priming,
and a progressive tool would involve extra steps to do that. I might buy
the Dillon just for adding powder, seating and crimping, especially for
the pistols, but I always seem to want something else more (like the S&W
Stainless .45, drool, drool). At the time I got into it, I bought the
whole deal for ~$275, but you can get started a lot cheaper than that,
either with the Lee or Mequon loaders, or by picking and choosing your
components. This has definitely worked great for me, since I wouldn't
be able to shoot even a fraction of what I do now if I didn't reload.
The only thing I would do different is to buy the Lyman case trimmer.
The RCBS trimmer's chuck for the case doesn't lend itself to easily
repeatable settings for each case, the Lyman's has a different setup
and is more repeatable.

If I was going to do it over, I would do it the same way I did before:
Decide what you want to spend money on, and pick whatever you can get
cheapest. I happen to prefer Lyman and RCBS, but I don't know of any
bad stuff on the market. Shooters are touchy about getting ripped off,
and any bozo manufacturers don't seem to last long.

I also buy from a couple of mailorder places, Esman's (PA.), and
Mid-South Shooter's Supply (TN?). Mid-South especially has been great,
good service, fast delivery, rarely out of stock on something I want,
and GREAT prices. I tend to use them for high-dollar stuff, like the
Lyman case polisher, or stuff I have a hard time getting otherwise,
like S.S. magazines for the S&W 659. The local guys get plenty of business
from me still, including gun purchases, but there are some things that
I just wouldn't own without Mid-South. Highly recommended.

Let's get some interesting discussions going for a change, if anyone
wants to talk more about reloading and you don't want to post, e-mail
me direct. BTW, is anyone else ripped that Ruger doesn't sell the
Rabch Rifle (.223, scope mounts, etc.) in Stainless? I had always heard
that the original Stainless Mini-14 was real popular with ranchers, etc.
It would seem that the scoped version would be even more popular.

						Steve Boyle

  UUCP.teddy!svb
  {decvax, linus, mit-eddie, cbosgd, masscomp}!genrad!teddy!svb
  Steve Boyle, GenRad, MS 06, 300 Baker Ave., Concord, MA. 01742

This is my first submission, any comments are welcomed.

							Thanks,
							Steve Boyle

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/17/86)

Article: 9:21

Could you please post the mailing addresses of the mail-order houses that
you use.
                                             Thanks, Rick.
--
/*  This is the standard disclaimer that the above junk is mine alone.  */
/*                  path={hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!wre                      */

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/19/86)

Article: 9:26

[ The author has been trying to get ahold of this person. Steve? Where are
you, and what happened to your mailer? -jh]

Steve,

Could you pass along Mid-South Shooter's Supply address?  Thanks.

Mark O'Shea
_______________

In reference to an article posted by:

  UUCP.teddy!svb
  {decvax, linus, mit-eddie, cbosgd, masscomp}!genrad!teddy!svb
  Steve Boyle, GenRad, MS 06, 300 Baker Ave., Concord, MA. 01742

jkh@jade.UUCP (04/03/87)

Try the new Hodgdon reloading book, it may have some loads for the 32 H&R.
The latest booklet from Hercules has some data which I will list.

bullet   bullseye  red dot green dot  unique  herco  blue dot
85g J      3.4g      3.4g    3.5       4.1      4.6     6.6
95g L      3.4g      3.1g    3.5       4.0      `

The 85g bullet is jacketed and the 95g is a cast lead. herco and blue dot
are not recommended for the cast bullet.