[net.music] Bowie / Talking Heads albums

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (11/12/84)

Well, even after his mega-bucks moonlight tour there is still
something I like about Bowie. And on the strength of one song,
"Blue Jeanne", I bought his "Tonight" album. I didn't care for
it. Too over produced, and horns which make me think of Las Vegas
type orchestras. Tina Turner sings on one cut, and a couple of
songs are reggae type, Iggy Pop had a hand in some of the songs
too. Maybe I just didn't listen to it enough. But can you
believe this, I got my wife to take it back to the store and
they let her exchange it, the only reason she gave was that
she didn't like it!
	So we bought the Talking Heads' album, "Stop Making Sense".
Well, they've really funked out. Its a live album, I know, and
this comparison may not be right, but Psycho Killer and Life During
Wartime sound mellow on the live album, more energetic and desperate
on the studio albums. Also Burne couldn't hit the highs on the
live version of Psycho Killer that he did on the studio album.
Its been 7 years since their 1977 album and all I could think is
gee, they're getting old (not that we all aren't), but somehow
I miss the Talking Heads from the time of their first 2 albums.

asente@decwrl.UUCP (Paul Asente) (11/14/84)

> 	So we bought the Talking Heads' album, "Stop Making Sense".
> Well, they've really funked out. Its a live album, I know, and
> this comparison may not be right, but Psycho Killer and Life During
> Wartime sound mellow on the live album, more energetic and desperate
> on the studio albums. Also Burne couldn't hit the highs on the
> live version of Psycho Killer that he did on the studio album.
> Its been 7 years since their 1977 album and all I could think is
> gee, they're getting old (not that we all aren't), but somehow
> I miss the Talking Heads from the time of their first 2 albums.

It's not at all clear that this requalifies as a live album.  In the small
print on the back of the album it reads

Recorded at The Pantages Theatre, Hollywood, December 1983 by The Record
	Plant Mobile
Re-recording for film at Can Am and Ocean Way, Los Angeles and Right
	Track, New York

So it's at least semi-live, but it may have been patched up a bit.

Anyway, IT never claims to be a live album.  It claims to be a soundtrack
album.  The Talking Heads already have a live album.

I'm just p.o.'ed that "Stop Making Sense" doesn't have "This Must Be the
Place (Naive Melody)," my favorite cut from Sp eak in gi n To ngu es.
I could do without "Swamp;" the version is good but I don't think it's one
of their best songs.  I've been awaiting the movie for months, ever since
I had to miss the premiere last spring at the SF Film Festival.

	-paul asente

p.s.  90% of David Byrne's lyrics qualify for the "best lyrics" contest.
They just take a little effort.  Many of the best things in life require a
little effort.

And you're standing here beside me
I love the passing of time
Never for money
Always for love
Cover up & say goodnight...say goodnight

guy@proper.UUCP (Guy Hillyer ) (11/16/84)

In article <> strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) writes:
>... Also Burne couldn't hit the highs on the
>live version of Psycho Killer that he did on the studio album.
>Its been 7 years since their 1977 album and all I could think is
>gee, they're getting old (not that we all aren't), but somehow
>I miss the Talking Heads from the time of their first 2 albums.

C'mon!  Byrne's skill at singing has little to do with pitch accuracy.