[mod.rec.guns] NRA Internal Politics

jkh@jade.UUCP (04/03/87)

I don't know know about the other NRA members out there, but I WOULD like to
see details on the NRA internal politics posted to the group, not just sent
privately to the person who inquired about it after 20 years outside. I've
been in the NRA for 23 years now (I got my Life Membership as my high-school
graduation present back when they were $100) but all I can base my knowledge
of the NRA internals on is what I read in the Rifleman and what I see in
Knox's (& associates') ads in Shotgun News -- very limited info and nothing
unbiased. I think a lot of this detail is printed in Gun Week, but that
isn't sold on any newsstand I get to around here, nor is it in any library
I know of to peruse back issues, and I haven't had enough incentive to
subscribe to it, so I don't know for sure -- that's just a guess. Anyway,
I really don't know much about this internal power struggle, even having
been a member all along! I know of no source for such info, and would like
to learn all I can about it via this group.

I could have posted the names of the anti-old-guard candidates in the
recent NRA Directors election, as copied off their ad in Shotgun News,
but I didn't for two reasons: 1) I thought the moderator didn't want
such explicitly political postings, and 2) I figured everybody who was
eligible would have voted already by the time I got the info sent in
and it was posted and distributed, so it would have been wasted effort.
Was I wrong?

(One odd thing was that they did NOT have a complete slate -- their ad
listed fewer names than the number of vacancies to vote for. I voted
for this group and then perused the biographical sketches in the
Rifleman and voted my prejudices for the remainder.)

Regards,
Will Martin
wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA   (on USENET try ...!seismo!wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA )

jkh@jade.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (04/20/87)

Article: 4:14

Here's my vote for allowing the discussion of NRA internal politics
in this group.

The powers that be have keep this rather quiet.  I asked about a year
ago in this forum if anyone knew what was going on.  I never got a
response.  I assume this meant noone knew.  Which seems to be born
out by this discussion.

At the time of my last membership renewal I wrote a letter to James
Reinke, The NRA President.  I asked for an explanation of what was
going on and stated that I would not renew unless I got an answer.

I received a prompt response explaining the resignation of Ray Arnett
and the hiring of Warren Cassidy.  It was brief and told me nothing
of the politics behind it.  I want to know what is going on.  I am
frustrated bt the lack of communication with the rank and file by the
management.  Management we elected.  I favor using this group to air
the information others may have.

If others don't like it the "k" key works.  The group is a diverse
one.  I was fed up with the proliferation of ".45" articles a while
back.  But that interested a segment of the group.  So be it.  Let
the discussion continue.

--
Mark O'Shea
marko@tekecs.GWD.TEK
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 87 17:37:04 pst
From: ucbcad!ames!rutgers!ames!pyramid!weitek!ubvax!frank@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Frank Warren)
To: ames!jade!jkh
Subject: Re: Hello out there?

   Hi, Jordan.  In response to the message saying we should go into blood
and guts stories on this board, I vote against it.  If we all want to talk
about it, mail.firearms, not the public boards, are the place to discuss it.
Self-defense, blood-and-guts, all that stuff, is not what this group is
about in my estimation.  In my experience, such stuff can get out of hand
easily which is why I had doubts about sending anything to you about it.

If anyone on the board feels threatened and all that, pick up a copy of
Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" where the ethics, politics, law
and practice of self-defense is covered in great detail.  Ayoob also offers
courses in this stuff tailored to the local area if there are enough students
to justify his travelling.  I do not think our amateur opinions about self
defense will, in fact, be as valuable as the 10 odd years of study that
Ayoob has put into the subject.  The boy knows his stuff.

So, without prejudice or heat, I discourage you on the subject of blood
and guts messages.  I feel they don't belong here.

     "Against a diseased imagination, demonstration goes for nothing."
					    -- Mark Twain