[mod.std.unix] Access to IEEE P1003 proposed draft standard

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (09/19/85)

Draft 4 of the proposed draft standard of the IEEE P1003
Portable Operating System Environment committee is available
by anonymous ftp from sally.UTEXAS.EDU as ~ftp/pub/P1003.D4.Z,
which is a compressed tar file.

If you have a UUCP connection to decvax, you can probably get
it from them if you drop a note to decvax!jmcg.  If you have
a UUCP connection to ut-sally, drop me <ut-sally!jsq> a line
and we'll negotiate about getting it from sally.  Neither
decvax nor ut-sally can accept new UUCP connections solely
for this purpose.

We're still looking for some UUCP host with very high connectivity
to make it generally available on the UUCP network.  Volunteers?

In agreeing to make the draft available by these methods,
IEEE requires that it *only* be available from a limited set
of hosts.  That set is currently sally.UTEXAS.EDU (aka ut-sally)
and decvax.  If you get it from anywhere else, even if the
bits compare, it's not the real thing.  Please do *not*
make any copies publicly available for UUCP or ftp transfer
without letting me know.

Note that the document is not a standard.  It is not even
a trial use standard.  It is a proposed draft standard.
The following text appears on the title page:

		Portable Operating System Environment

			      P1003/D4

			   September, 1985

	All rights reserved by the Institute of Electrical and
	Electronics Engineers, Inc.

	This is an unapproved draft and is subject to change.

	Do not specify or claim conformance to this document.

In the above comments about access to and status of the draft,
I am representing the opinion of the committee and IEEE,
as I understand it.

This particular draft is the one which was current at the *beginning*
of the committee meeting last week near Washington D.C.  The next
draft should be available in about three weeks.  Meanwhile, you
should know about a few things which were changed after this draft.
Most of the C library functions are now not in the P1003 standard,
rather the P1003 standard refers to the X3J11 C standard for them.
Similarly for most C type definitions and some system calls.
Getlogname and ustat are gone.  Termio is now in an appendix.
I will post more details in following articles.

Volume-Number: Volume 2, Number 2

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (09/20/85)

Rick Adams has volunteered seismo for UUCP access to P1003 Draft 4
by people on machines with existing UUCP connections to seismo.
It's ~uucp/P1003.D4.Z, which is the same compressed tar format
as the copy on sally.  Thus the draft is now available to
Australia and Europe as well as to North America.

So the list of hosts from which the draft is available is now
seismo for UUCP, decvax for UUCP by arrangement with decvax!jmcg,
ut-sally for UUCP by arrangement with ut-sally!std-unix-request,
and sally.UTEXAS.EDU for anonymous ftp within the ARPA Internet.

The offer is still open:

> We're still looking for some UUCP host with very high connectivity
> to make it generally available on the UUCP network.  Volunteers?

Volume-Number: Volume 2, Number 3

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (09/25/85)

[ This makes the set of hosts with a copy of the standard available be
ARPA Internet:  anonymous ftp from sally.UTEXAS.EDU as ~ftp/pub/P1003.D4.Z.
UUCP:  decvax (contact decvax!jmcg), ut-sally (contact ut-sally!jsq),
and enea (contact enea!ber).  I'm still looking for some host for more
general UUCP availability in the States.  The file is in compressed
tar format.  You need a copy of compress (which has been posted to
net.sources several times, and is also available from sally.UTEXAS.EDU
as ~ftp/pub/compress.shar) to uncompress it.  -mod ]

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 85 22:25:15 -0200
From: Bjorn Eriksen <seismo!enea!ber>
To: ut-sally!std-unix

I'v now got a copy of P1003 from seismo and could make it available
to 'swnet', that is the Swedish part of Usenet/Eunet. OK?

--
	Bjorn Eriksen
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,cernvax,diku,ircam,prlb2,tut,ukc,unido}!enea!ber
	ARPA:	enea!ber@seismo.arpa

Volume-Number:  Volume 2, Number 6

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (09/28/85)

The draft document is formatted with the -mm macros.
Unfortunately, one must have a System V or System III (or PWB)
license to have those, and many people reading this do not.
I cannot make a copy of those macros publicly available
without violating UT's licenses.  So I am providing a copy
of the draft which is already formatted.

Some have had trouble uncompressing the original form of the
document sources I provided.  So I am providing both compressed
and uncompressed forms, as well as source to compress.

Some file names got truncated to 14 characters in the tar file
somewhere along the line.  This makes formatting on a 4.2BSD
machine difficult.  Running this will help:
#!/bin/sh -x
mv	sect/ch03_process_p	sect/ch03_process_prim
mv	sect/ch04_process_e	sect/ch04_process_env
mv	sect/ch06_nonlocal_	sect/ch06_nonlocal_jumps
mv	sect/ch09_device_sp	sect/ch09_device_specific
mv	sect/ch11_sort_sear	sect/ch11_sort_search
mv	sect/ch14_data_inte	sect/ch14_data_interchange

By anonymous ftp (login anonymous, password guest) from sally.UTEXAS.EDU,
one may retrieve the following over the ARPA Internet:

-rw-rw-r--  1 jsq      bin        389120 Sep 27 16:24 ~ftp/pub/P1003.D4
-rw-r--r--  1 jsq      bin        124553 Sep 19 17:00 ~ftp/pub/P1003.D4.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 jsq      bin        291305 Sep 27 16:30 ~ftp/pub/P1003.D4.doc
-rw-rw-r--  1 jsq      bin         89889 Sep 27 16:30 ~ftp/pub/P1003.D4.doc.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 jsq      ftp         56515 Apr  9 13:53 ~ftp/pub/compress.shar

P1003.D4 is the sources for the document, in tar format.
P1003.D4.Z is the same compressed.
P1003.D4.doc is a formatted form of the document (63 line pages
	separated by form feeds, i.e., ARPANET RFC format, which
	should be printable on just about any line printer).
P1003.D4.Z is the same compressed.
Compress.shar is the sources for compress.

Obviously you will want to retrieve the compressed form if you can.

The list of hosts from which the document is available by UUCP is
ut-sally (contact ut-sally!jsq), decvax (contact decvax!jcmg),
seismo, and enea.  Presumably they will pick up the new files.
Remember the IEEE rule that only copies obtained from one of the
hosts on the approved list (those named in this article) are real.

We still need a host with high connectivity in North America
for greater UUCP availability.

There is an IEEE interest list which people can join to get copies
of current drafts.  It is not clear that you will get them faster
that way than by the electronic means described above.  If you do
want to get on that interest list, you will want to send a request
including paper mail address to decvax!frog!jim, who is Jim Isaak,
the IEEE P1003 committee chair.

Volume-Number:  Volume 2, Number 8

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (10/19/85)

P1003 Draft 4 is now available from ucbvax in their uucppublic directory.
They have the compressed files:

P1003.D4.Z is a compressed tar archive of the sources of the document.
P1003.D4.doc.Z is a compressed formatted copy of the document.

As those in Australia already know, the document is also available
from munnari.

The other hosts from which it was already available is, once again:
sally.UTEXAS.EDU by anonymous ftp over the ARPA Internet, and on UUCP
ut-sally (contact ut-sally!jsq), decvax (contact decvax!jcmg),
seismo, and enea.

I am investigating the availability of Draft 5.

Volume-Number: Volume 2, Number 16