[mod.std.unix] Announcement of INFO-FUTURES

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (02/23/86)

[ The following is reposted from UNIX-WIZARDS.  -mod ]

From: bzs%bostonu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (Barry Shein)
Date: 17 Feb 86 18:56:14 GMT

 INFO-FUTURES		Sunday February 16, 1986	Volume 1 Number 1

  Purpose: To provide a speculative forum for analyzing current and
  likely events in technology as they will affect our near future in
  computing and related areas.

	This is a moderated list, submissions should be sent to:

		ARPA:	info-futures%bu-cs@csnet-relay.ARPA
		CSNET:	info-futures@bu-cs
		UUCP:	...harvard!bu-cs!info-futures

	Membership and address changes to info-futures-request

		     ANNOUNCEMENT OF INFO-FUTURES

This list has been formed to fill a need that appeared to not really
be served by any existing list. Although the topics it addresses are
often touched upon in almost every other major forum the goal is to
provide a place for more eclectic and speculative discussions
generally discouraged in technical newsgroups. The original discussion
for formation of this list occurred among readers of the unix-wizards
mailing list, the desire for such a forum seemed obvious. I hope the
source of participation spreads far beyond the original discussions
from which this list was founded.

In broad terms, topics of interest include developments in both
computing research and industry which are likely to affect our
decision making, particularly decisions we are probably grappling with
right this minute. Technologies can change so rapidly that simply
forecasting for needs within any organization one or two years in
advance can be extremely difficult, frequently we are forced to
provide foundations that effectively lock us into a technology for
longer periods of time. I would hope the information this list
provides can help both the practitioner and researcher determine where
best to expend resources.

It is difficult, probably impossible, to separate what is often termed
'politics' or 'religion' from facts in such a discussion.  Those that
believe in a particular future and proceed to implement it will often
find their prophecies to be self-fulfilling, it will become their
future and the future of those whom they influence.  My only hope is
that, through moderation, we can provide a steady flow of information
who's content is apparent and useful. I have never felt uncomfortable
with people who are excited about their ideas.

Feel free to post this announcement on other bulletin boards.

		Moderator
		Barry Shein
		Boston University

Volume-Number: Volume 5, Number 59