[mod.std.unix] POSIX system range more case sensitivity

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Guest Moderator, John B. Chambers) (10/06/86)

From: cybvax0!frog!jim@harvard.UUCP
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 86 08:56:55 edt
Subject: POSIX system range

In a comment on the sensitive issue of UPPERCASE us lowercase, John
Gilmore stated:

 "My impression was that the "new operating system" was supposed to look
  very much like the set of features-in-common to the various Unix operating
  systems.  If we are trying to standardize an environment that will
  run under other operating systems, somebody better tell us quick.
  I thought the "Portable Operating System" stuff was just a legalese hack
  because we can't use the trademarked name "Unix".  Was I wrong? "
	 ( Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 20)

The POSIX effort is defining an operating system interface, the boundary
layer between application and OS Services; not an "operating system".
One point is that we are not trying to specify the implementation.
We also want a portable environment that can work with various UN*X
versions. But, it should also work with some range of hosted systems,
and systems developed from scratch.  The name POSIX is to provide a
handle for such a thing without treading on the AT&T Trademark.  However,
The purpose is to define application portability beyond the scope of the
language constructs, but without necessarily specifiying a specific
implementation or specific version of system from a specific vendor.
If we reverse the implicit question "Why not UN*X" and ask "Why not hosted?"
it is useful.  If we vary from System V or Berkeley, we would like to know,
and have some rationale for that (or not vary); similarly if we define
constraints that prevent hosting we should have a rationale for that,
or not propose such constraints.

	For information, POSIX has been proposed as a FIPS standard,
which would have a substaintial impact on government purchases when
that becomes finalized, and the first US Government purchase spec for
a POSIX system went out in Oct.  So we are not concerned with minor
legalisms, but practical solutions in the real world.  If the definition
aids significantly in this, we have done well; if not, ...

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 24