[mod.std.unix] Vowel-insensitive UNIX Filenames

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (10/08/86)

From: hammond@lafite.bellcore.com (Rich A. Hammond)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 86 08:13:22 edt

As long as we're proposing case-insensitive filenames, we should
fix the real user interface problem and have vowel-insensitive
filenames.  We've had many problems with users who typed
"move" to rename a file, or once they had learned mv, couldn't
understand why "ct" didn't cat.  And of course, they are forever
trying to chdir to /user.  Clearly, vowel-insensitive filenames
i.e. move == mv, usr == user, ld == load, name == nm, ...
would eliminate many of the complaints about UNIX's user interface.

Rich Hammond	Bell Communications Research	hammond@bellcore.com

[ Ok, this is different, but I seem to recall the issue of command
names being beat to death in other fora, perhaps including a CACM paper.
If someone can recall the details, please post.

Also, I assume this wasn't really meant as input to P1003 (actually
P1003.2, since it's a shell interface issue), because that group is
trying to standardize what's there, not invent new things.

For that matter, it couldn't have been a *gasp* joke, could it?
-mod ]

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 35