[mod.std.unix] window size

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (10/26/86)

From: gwyn@brl.arpa (VLD/VMB)
Date:     Mon, 20 Oct 86 10:00:13 EDT

Many of us have long outgrown the fixed-size, constant-width font model
of text characters.  Such ideas as pagination to multiples of N text
lines are not as useful as they might once have been.  I would hope
that simplistic models of terminal text do not become more deeply
embedded in specifications such as POSIX.  Limitations due to
insufficiently general models are one of the worst problems with
existing systems; we can do better.

As to what TIOCGWINSZ should return: for some situations character
cell array dimensions are appropriate; for others pixel array size
is appropriate.  It would be best to supply both, with the explanation
that a "pixel" may just be a character cell for old-fashioned terminal
devices (in which case both sets of dimensions would have the same
numerical values).

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 80

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (10/27/86)

From: guy@sun.com (Guy Harris)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 86 15:16:30 PST

> As to what TIOCGWINSZ should return: for some situations character
> cell array dimensions are appropriate; for others pixel array size
> is appropriate.

Bill Shannon's point was that those applications for which pixel array size
is important are not necessarily going to be talking to a terminal-like
interface.  It is certainly *possible* to do graphics and window management
through such an interface; whether this is *desirable* is another matter.
Until it is established that all implementations will provide access to
graphics or a window system through the terminal interface, it is
inappropriate to require the terminal interface to supply data not
applicable to plain text characters.

Volume-Number: Volume 7, Number 93