[mod.std.unix] 1003.2 Quarterly Report

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (12/23/86)

From: seismo!amdahl!hlj@sally.utexas.edu (Hal Jespersen)
Cc: meccts!posix@sally.utexas.edu
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 86 15:02:33 PST

John, here is the quarterly report from 1003.2, which you may post to
mod.std.unix, if you feel it is of general interest.  I'm copying the
posix mailing list, FYI.  The actual list of commands I refer to in this
report will be in my next posting.  That should get some comments, I'd
think.

           P1003.2 Working Group Quarterly Report-December 1986

                              Hal Jespersen

                            Amdahl Corporation

       December 14, 1986

       The P1003.2 Shell and Utilities Working Group met in
       Atlantic City, NJ, December 8 and 9, 1986.  The meeting was
       one and a half days, concurrent with 1003.3 and the 1003.1
       Real Time Subcommittee, and prior to the 1003.1 Working
       Group meeting.

       The following were the highlights of the meeting:

          + Three proposals for command groups were received and
            reviewed.  AT&T presented their System V Interface
            Definition (SVID) grouping-a base, plus extensions.
            Doug Gwyn of the U.S. Army presented his idea of a
            single command group, with recommended inclusions.  The
            X/OPEN Group forwarded its list of commands, divided
            into a mandatory group and an optional software
            development group.  The Working Group adopted this
            latter approach for its Draft 2:  an ``Execution
            Environment'' and an optional ``Software Development
            Environment.'' A mandatory ``Application Installation
            Environment'' is also being considered.

          + The Working Group tentatively approved the contents of
            the command environments.  From a list of 141 common
            commands, it categorized them as follows:

             |            |  Included |  Excluded |  Undecided |
             |____________|___________|___________|____________|
             | Execution  |     58    |     18    |      34    |
             |____________|___________|___________|____________|
             | Development|     17    |      3    |      11    |
             |____________|___________|___________|____________|

          + Both AT&T and X/OPEN have offered the use of their
            command documentation as a basis for the proposed
            standard.  Non-disclosure agreements are being analyzed
            for IEEE's approval.

          + Draft 2 of the proposed standard will include command
            descriptions for all commands selected in this meeting.
            The initial source will be the SVID.

          + The Working Group encountered its first pressure to
            accommodate international character sets, date formats,
            collating sequences, etc.  A proposal on ``regular
            expressions'' will be forwarded to the /usr/group
            Technical Committee on Internationalization for its
            comments and recommendations.

       The next meeting is scheduled for April 20 and 21, 1987, in
       Toronto.  It will be two full days, beginning at 9:00 am
       each day.  The 1003.1 meeting will follow for the remainder
       of the week.

       Subsequent meetings:

          + June 24 through 26, 1987, in Seattle.  (1003.1 will
            precede.)

          + September 14 through 16, 1987 (dates approximate), in
            the Boston vicinity.

                                     Hal Jespersen
                                     Amdahl Corp.
                                     M/S 316
                                     1250 East Arques Ave
                                     Sunnyvale, CA 94088
                                     ...{ihnp4|hplabs|seismo|decwrl}!amdahl!hlj
                                     (408) 746-8288

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 71