[mod.std.unix] ctime - HP proposal - bug

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (12/23/86)

From: colonel%buffalo.csnet@relay.cs.net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 86 12:29:00 EST

> From: utah-cs!hplabs!hpfcla!hpfclj!hpfcdg!rgt (Ron Tolley)
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 86 18:51:58 est
>
> The HP proposal  boils down to five  changes to the RFC.001  Timezone
> Interface  by Robert Elz.  ...
>
> 	%U is replaced by the week number of the year with Sunday as the
> 	   first day of the week (00 to 52)
>
> 	%V is replaced by the week number of the year with Monday as the
> 	   first day of the week (00 to 52)

While I like the overall idea, this part needs work.

1. Is week 01 the first complete week?  Or is week 00 the first full week
   or fragment of one?

2. If the year begins on Saturday and ends on Monday, it will have 54
   weeks.  Obviously they cannot be numbered 00 to 52!

By the way, how about using %P for AM/PM and %p for am/pm?

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 74