[mod.std.unix] more on leap seconds

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (01/08/87)

From: utah-cs!hplabs!hpfcla!hpfclj!hpfcdg!rgt (Ron Tolley)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 86 13:28:15 est

>> GMT and UTC are not the same.

>  UTC is an average of all the contributing countrys' clocks (US, UK,
>France, Italy, Japan etc all contribute to UTC).  The change of UTC
>to stay close to UT1 (the "spinning earth" time) is through the adding
>or subtracting of leap seconds.  BIH makes recommendations for such
>leap seconds and it is up to the individual countries to follow them.
>I don't know of any case where a leap second recommedation was not
>followed by a country for its clocks; it doesn't make sense to disregard them.

Rumor has it that  Queensland,  Australia is 4 seconds off from the rest
of the world.  I don't recall  whether I saw it on this notes strings or
heard it in passing conversation with some of my Australian contacts.

With all (or any) due respect, Australia alone could keep us busy trying
to keep up with its (her/his) departures from normal time keeping.

Ron Tolley

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 3