[mod.std.unix] excludes vi in standard

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (01/08/87)

From: seismo!harvard!gsg!lew (Paul Lew)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 86 09:56:05 est

I am not sure it is good idea to assume that no one will not invoke
"vi" inside application programs or shell scripts.  For example, there
is an application program callable interface defined for EDT under
VMS, maybe someone should think about this idea for vi under Unix?

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 8

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (Moderator, John Quarterman) (01/15/87)

From: lazear@mitre-gateway.arpa (Walt Lazear)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 87 21:59:04 EST

The Berkeley Mail program used to construct this message calls
"vi" from within.  Then again, ANY program ca be caled from within
another program, via the "exec*" system call, so what's the big
deal about "vi"???

Walt Lazear                      _     _       _  _________ _______  ________
                                / \  /  \     | | |___ ___| | __   \ | _____|
Lazear@MITRE.ARPA              / \ \/ /\ \    | |    | |    | |_>  | | |____
1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.     / / \  /  \ \   | |    | |    |  _  /  | _____|
McLean, VA 2210              / /   \/    \ \  | |    | |    | | \ \  | |____
(703) 883-6515              /_/           \_\ |_|    |_|    |_|  \_\ |______|

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 17

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (01/28/87)

From: kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen)
Date: 19 Jan 87 12:47:59 GMT

> The Berkeley Mail program used to construct this message calls
> "vi" from within.  Then again, ANY program ca be caled from within
> another program, via the "exec*" system call, so what's the big
> deal about "vi"???

What's the big deal about "vi", well for one thing it's standard!
You don't find a UNIX system delivered without at least three editors:

	ed - Common campground for computer travellers.
	ex - EXpanded Ed(itor).
	vi - VIsual Ex.

Whenever a program needs to call an editor it often searches for the
environment variable $EDITOR and if defined exec* the editor defined
here. If not defined it will search for a default editor (usually vi -
since it's the most user friendly of the three standard editors).

				Kim Chr. Madsen

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 26

std-unix@ut-sally.UUCP (02/03/87)

Actually, every Unix has four editors.  You forgot 'sed'.

---
	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304
Email: ...{adelie,bu-cs,harvax,inmet,mcsbos,mit-eddie,mot[bos]}!cdx39!{jc,news,root,usenet,uucp}
Smail: Codex Corporation; Mailstop C1-30; 20 Cabot Blvd; Mansfield MA 02048-1193

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 46