[net.misc.coke] Don't forget Cherry Coke

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/12/85)

With all the hundreds of messages rejoicing on the return of the old
Merchandise 7X "I'm sure it has lemon in it" Coke, I just wanted to put in
a good word for a product that hasn't got much coverage, but came out the
same time as the "new" coke:  Cherry Coke.

They don't have Cherry Coke here, since it's being test-marketed in just a
few places, but I got someone to import some from Atlanta for me; it is
good stuff!  It is not the same as the cherry coke you used to be able to
buy in Grant Park in Atlanta back when I was young, but I like it better
than some of the Coca Cola Company's other products, e.g., Mr. Pibb
(though I do like Mr. Pibb).

If you can get it, try it!  If you like it, tell Coke you do...  I would
hate to see it disappear.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    Gur ArgArjf... n qlvat pbzzhavpngvba sbez?

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (07/15/85)

I tried Cherry Coke for the first time the
other day - it had too much cherry flavor in
it for my taste.

My neighbor, who liked cherry colas as a kid,
thought Cherry Coke tasted like cough medicine!

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/16/85)

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP at AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ) writes:

> I tried Cherry Coke for the first time the
> other day - it had too much cherry flavor in
> it for my taste.
>
> My neighbor, who liked cherry colas as a kid,
> thought Cherry Coke tasted like cough medicine!

I would expect that Cherry Coke would be most popular in the South.  That
is also where Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb are popular (those also being
fruit-flavored colas); likewise the citrus sodas, such as Squirt, Mountain
Dew, Mello Yello, and Kick.

I recall a very long article in the Atlanta Constitution's sunday magazine
back when Mello Yello came out that detailed the marketing research that
went into Mello Yello, in fact (which is where the above comes from).
Apparently Mello Yello was designed specifically to appeal to tired
blue-collar workers, according to this article: little carbonation so it
can be consumed fast*; an optimal ratio of water to other ingredients so
it would be "thirst quenching"; a flavor chosen to be appealing when one
is hot and thirsty; and, although the article didn't mention it, apparently
a large amount of caffeine.  I've discovered that with the above in mind,
it is possible to drink Mello Yello at times when it actually tastes good.
At other times, it tastes way too strong.

By the way...  I think Cherry Coke doesn't have ENOUGH cherry flavor,
actually; there is very little cherry to it compared to the old "original"
cherry cokes (which were made by adding cherry syrup to original soda-
fountain Coca Cola).

*One thing that has always puzzled me about this, though... shortly before
Mello Yello came out, Mr.  Pibb came out, also (I think) by the same soft
drink company (Coca Cola).  Mr.  Pibb's advertisements called Mr.  Pibb
"The world's fastest soft drink," and showed things like race car drivers
drinking a bottle of Mr.  Pibb at a very high speed right after a race.
They never said this about Mello Yello, eventhough that was what this
article claimed Mello Yello was designed for.  I've never entirely
understood why they came out with two "fast" soft drinks at the same time
(and at the time, the commercials didn't make much sense, either...  I
mean, what's a "fast" soft drink, and why would someone want one?).
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

	    [But, at the time you are reading this, probably in New Jersey]

mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) (07/17/85)

> They don't have Cherry Coke here, since it's being test-marketed in just a
> few places, but I got someone to import some from Atlanta for me; it is
> good stuff!

They do have Cherry Coke here (Boulder, CO), and I have been drinking it
for about three weeks now.  I agreed with you at first, quite strongly!
The cherry is really good as a change of pace, but for REAL Coke lovers,
you will find it too sweet to drink for a sustained time.  Does anybody
know if its made with New C(h)oke, or just sweet from the Cherry?

--
The opinions expessed above are -- or maybe they aren't...
	Mark Hamilton - Burroughs Advanced Systems Group

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (07/18/85)

> They do have Cherry Coke here (Boulder, CO), and I have been drinking it
> for about three weeks now.  ....Does anybody
> know if its made with New C(h)oke, or just sweet from the Cherry?

  Check the ingredient list on the can. It looks exactly like the list for
the old Coke which is considerably different than the list for the new Coke.
Therefore, I think that Cherry Coke is based on the old formula.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (07/18/85)

    HOW!!!! can you forget Cheerwine and Sun-drop in any list of fruity
soft drinks enjoyed by Southerners?  Cherry Coke just had to be created to
steal the glory from the Cheerwine Co. . .

    BTW, I was working at a radio station in Cabarrus County (home of
Cheerwine) when Mello Yello was introduced.  I also remember carting up
their initial commercials (as well as other CoCo products) and nowhere can
I think of Mr. Pibb being advertised as the 'world's fastest soft drink.'
Next time, instead of beer, take shots of Mr. Pibb once a minute until
you get sick!!!

dya

edm@tekmdp.UUCP (Ed Morin) (07/24/85)

> I tried Cherry Coke for the first time the
> other day - it had too much cherry flavor in
> it for my taste.
>
> My neighbor, who liked cherry colas as a kid,
> thought Cherry Coke tasted like cough medicine!
>
> --
> 			Paul Kemp
> 			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

I wonder if the Coke folks are varying the formula with different test
markets.  I tried Cherry Coke the other day and thought it didn't taste
much like cherry at all.  This may be their way of testing out which
"dilution" is a best seller...

					Ed Morin
					...tektronix!tekmdp!edm

This opinion IS the opinion of my employer as far as I'm concerned!

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/24/85)

> The cherry is really good as a change of pace, but for REAL Coke lovers,
> you will find it too sweet to drink for a sustained time.

I have found that many soft drinks that are too sweet or strong to drink as
a general-purpose beverage are good occasionally; i.e., there are times
when it does taste good, if you don't drink too much of it.  Personally I
have a hypothesis this has to do with blood-sugar levels, since I find, for
example, that if I drink a large sized Dr.  Pepper from the local
convenience store, then I don't feel like drinking anything sweet later on.
I suspect this is a learned taste resulting from the fact that if you drink
too much of something sweet, it will make you feel bad.
--

agx@pucc-i (Captain Kirk) (07/25/85)

In article <1634@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>> They do have Cherry Coke here (Boulder, CO), and I have been drinking it
>> for about three weeks now.  ....Does anybody
>> know if its made with New C(h)oke, or just sweet from the Cherry?
>
>  Check the ingredient list on the can. It looks exactly like the list for
>the old Coke which is considerably different than the list for the new Coke.
>Therefore, I think that Cherry Coke is based on the old formula.
>
>--Greg
>--
>{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
>				!hao!woods
>
>CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

   Well, I just bought the new Cherry Coke and I did check the label rather
carefully and it read: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or
sucrose, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.
This, by the way, is the same as that for regular new Coke and does thereby
prove (at least to me) that it made with the new formula Coke.
   Personally, I do not mind the sweetness in the Cherry Coke as much as I
mind it in the new Coke.  My biggest complain about Cherry Coke is that it
loses its fizz after only a few minutes.  Otherwise I actually like this
Cherry Coke and if they were to put it in 16 ounce returnable bottles I would
probably buy it in huge quantities (so far I have only seen it in cans).

--
			 'Captain' Kirk Johanning

UUCP:
{cbosgd,clyde,decvax,gould,hao,harpo}
{icalqa,ihnp4,intelca,ucbvax,uiucdcs}!pur-ee!pucc-i!agx

or    {decwrl,hplabs,psuvax1,siemens}!purdue!pucc-i!agx

			    Beam me up, Scotty!
			    This planet sucks!!

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (07/26/85)

]From: agx@pucc-i (Captain Kirk)
]
]In article <1634@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
]>> They do have Cherry Coke here (Boulder, CO), and I have been drinking it
]>> for about three weeks now.  ....Does anybody
]>> know if its made with New C(h)oke, or just sweet from the Cherry?
]>
]>  Check the ingredient list on the can. It looks exactly like the list for
]>the old Coke which is considerably different than the list for the new Coke.
]>Therefore, I think that Cherry Coke is based on the old formula.
]
]   Well, I just bought the new Cherry Coke and I did check the label rather
]carefully and it read: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or
]sucrose, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.
]This, by the way, is the same as that for regular new Coke and does thereby
]prove (at least to me) that it made with the new formula Coke.

Is it possible that Cherry Coke is nothing more than Coke with an added
cherry flavoring, just like a "real" Cherry Coke?

If so, is the following possible:

	Coca-Cola announces new taste for regular Coke. They immediately
	stop bottling the old stuff.

	Stuck with supplies of Old Coke syrup, they add the Cherry flavor
	and bottle it as Cherry Coke to get rid of syrup. (Yes, I know Cherry
	Coke came out before new Coke.)

	Stock of old syrup depleted (no Coca-Cola Classic, yet), they start
	using the New Coke syrup (and change ingredients list accordingly).

This must be the case. I, too, read a Cherry Coke label that did not list
the HFCS.

Is anyone out there a regular Cherry Coke drinker? If so, have you noticed
any subtle change in the taste lately?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764