[net.misc.coke] International Coke

root@spock.UUCP (The Super User) (08/04/85)

In article <710@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>The new formula is performing very well internationally, where I
>believe something like 60% of Coke's sales are originated.  Apparently
>sweeter drinks really do better outside the U.S., and there are fewer
>historical, psychological tie-ins such as people have over here with
>the "old" formula.  So Coke doesn't lose on this score.

Internationally??  I don't know about the rest of world, but as of July 17,
1985, neither Japan, nor South Korea, nor Taiwan had experienced New Coke.
Nobody would have noticed anyway.

The general response to a Real American was a question to the effect of
"Can you REALLY tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi?"

My only foreign exposure to New Coke was on a Pan Am flight where both
it and the legitimate were served.  As an American, I didn't qualify
for Real Coke.  I had forgotten there was anything else.

                                                               draz