[net.misc.coke] Won't Get Fooled Again

dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) (07/29/85)

Meet the new coke, same as the old coke . . . ?
_________

I am more than a tad bit worried that when Classic Coke returns it will
no longer taste like the old Coke (the Real Thing) we all know and love.
For example, rather than using sugar, corn sweetner (yech!) might be
used instead.  I can just see ads six months down the road announcing
that the cola we've been drinking under the guise of "Classic Coke"
is really the New Coke.  I think I'll go back to bed and pull the covers
over my head.
-----------
Come to the shell for answers.

dwayne
{akgua, ut-sally}!usl!dkl

dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) (07/30/85)

I tried a can of Classic Coke this morning.  The verdict is that the
formula is the same, however, corn syrup was used in making the drink,
instead of sugar which I was used to.  Indeed, the ingredients as listed
on the can are the same as for New Coke, but it does not mean that the
formula is the same -- there could be assorted different "natural
flavors" for example.  Despite the "fructose-y" taste of Classic Coke,
it is still a world better than the New C(h)oke.  A friend said that
in other parts of the country, corn syrup has been used in making Coke
for quite some time.  Is this true?  An old can of Coke from last year
clearly lists sugar as an ingredient.  If corn syrup is not used in
other places, is there any chance we can force the Coca-Cola company
to return to using it?  Are they just trying to deplete their stock of
corn syrup?  Or were they trying to get the Classic Coke out so fast
they had no sugar on hand?

-----------

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (07/31/85)

In article <600@usl.UUCP> dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) writes:
>Meet the new coke, same as the old coke . . . ?
>_________
>
>I am more than a tad bit worried that when Classic Coke returns it will
>no longer taste like the old Coke (the Real Thing) we all know and love.
>For example, rather than using sugar, corn sweetner (yech!) might be
>used instead.  I can just see ads six months down the road announcing
>that the cola we've been drinking under the guise of "Classic Coke"
>is really the New Coke.  I think I'll go back to bed and pull the covers
>over my head.
>-----------

I hate to tell you guy, but according to NPR's "All Things Considered"
you've already been had.  Coca-Cola has been using "corn sweetener" in
Coke instead of (part of) the sugar since last October/November.  This
isn't so outside the US, incidentally.  For that you can thank the sugar
industry which insisted on protectionist tariffs and price supports
which made corn sweetener a viable substitute even though it costs more
to manufacture.  Coke made outside the country (presumably in Mexico and
Canada) is sweetened entirely with sugar.

Anyone want to engage in Coke-running from the Great White North?
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

chris@columbia.UUCP (Chris Maio) (07/31/85)

In article <600@usl.UUCP> dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) writes:
> I am more than a tad bit worried that when Classic Coke returns it will
> no longer taste like the old Coke (the Real Thing) we all know and love.
> For example, rather than using sugar, corn sweetner (yech!) might be
> used instead.  I can just see ads six months down the road announcing
> that the cola we've been drinking under the guise of "Classic Coke"
> is really the New Coke.  I think I'll go back to bed and pull the covers
> over my head.

Coke Classic is indeed made with corn syrup and/or sucrose; the ingredient
list on the can is exactly the same as that for New Coke.

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (07/31/85)

     Are you sure it isn't the water?  I just got Classic last night in
Charlotte, NC, and it tastes different from the 'control' old Coke; but
the difference seems to be in-can degradation.

     Coca-Cola tastes absolutely HORRIBLE when 'Mid-State Bottling' or
whatever is on the can.  Why does Coca-Cola in the W.Va - western Pa. area
taste like coal washings smell?  Even USScare has the unmitigated gall
to serve such crapola.

     Speaking of airlines, it seems that Eastern and USAir didn't serve
New Coke about one month ago.  Anyone else notice this ?

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

bradley@im4u.UUCP (07/31/85)

>> For example, rather than using sugar, corn sweetner (yech!) might be
>> used instead.
>
>Coke Classic is indeed made with corn syrup and/or sucrose; the ingredient
>list on the can is exactly the same as that for New Coke.

Today's issue of the "Daily Texan" (U of Texas newspaper) quotes Dale
Bunn, marketing director for the Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper Bottling
Co. in Austin, as saying the 'old Coke' that will be distributed
is the same coke that left the market in June, but is not the original
coke.  Bunn says, "We have been using high fructose corn syrup blend
instead of sugar since November 1984."
--
David K. Bradley

Computer Science Department, The University of Texas at Austin
bradley@ut-sally.UUCP      {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!ut-sally!bradley

zben@umd5.UUCP (08/01/85)

In article <668@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP> bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) writes:
>I hate to tell you guy, but according to NPR's "All Things Considered"
>you've already been had.  Coca-Cola has been using "corn sweetener" in
>Coke instead of (part of) the sugar since last October/November.

When the "NEW" coke came out in March or May or whatever I compared the
lists of ingredients on the two cans.  The old can said "sugar" with nary
a word about corn oil.  If what NPR said is true, it must be a regional
thing...

>For that you can thank the sugar industry which insisted on protectionist
>tariffs and price supports which made corn sweetener a viable substitute
>even though it costs more to manufacture.

Nope, try again.  Until the Castro revolution most domestically consumed
sugar came from Cuba.  Come the revolution, our government decided that it
would be in the interest of "national defense" to develop a domestic sugar
industry.  Hence the price supports.  Of course, sugar "cane" just will not
grow in our country, so we grow (inferior) sugar "beets".

I still think this whole thing is just another way of putting the screws to
Nicaragua by cutting its sugar allocation/quota.  Reports of the "classic"
still having (domestic) corn oil instead of (imported) sugar just tend to
reinforce this feeling.

By the way, you can consider this as an example of the seamier side of the
precious "amerikan interests" the government keeps prattling about.

>Coke made outside the country (presumably in Mexico and Canada) is
>sweetened entirely with sugar.

Of course, it's not American dollars going to Nicaragua then, and there is
no conceivable way (I hope) to force the bottlers in other countries to
toe the line.

>Anyone want to engage in Coke-running from the Great White North?

It just might get to that point.  Only question is, as long as we are at
it, do we go ahead and put the cocaine back in too?   :-)
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (08/04/85)

> Coke Classic is indeed made with corn syrup and/or sucrose; the ingredient
> list on the can is exactly the same as that for New Coke.

Well, now, this is just terrible!  We can't let these modern-day "food
chemists" go and change the formula like that.  I mean, we should make sure
they put genuine SUGAR in the Coke, none of this "sucrose" stuff!  Next
thing you know, they'll start making vinegar out of acetic acid, and salt
out of sodium chloride, and soon there won't be any thing organic left in
our foodstuffs any more!

PS - :-)
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    "Vg frrzf yvxr hc gb zr."

dkl@usl.UUCP (Dwayne K. Lanclos) (08/05/85)

In article <692@umd5.UUCP> zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:

> Until the Castro revolution most domestically consumed
>sugar came from Cuba.  Come the revolution, our government decided that it
>would be in the interest of "national defense" to develop a domestic sugar
>industry.  Hence the price supports.  Of course, sugar "cane" just will not
>grow in our country, so we grow (inferior) sugar "beets".
>
>--
>Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

Come down here to Louisiana.  I can show you more sugar cane than you
can shake a stick at.