[net.misc.coke] Chocolate cokes

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/18/85)

My wife (Beverly) likes chocolate Coke -- like cherry Coke, but you use
choclate syrup instead of cherry syrup. I find this unique -- I had
never heard of it before I saw her do it. Anybody else like this? (I
tasted it once and found it yucky, myself.)

What other flavorings have people tried in Coke? (Either ones you've
tried yourself or known of others trying?) (This does not count the
apocryphal "dead mouse in the bottle" flavorings...)

Will

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (07/18/85)

> What other flavorings have people tried in Coke?

  I remember the vanilla Cokes I used to get at the soda fountain when I
was a kid. Just add a dash of vanilla (go easy! If you O.D. on the vanilla
it tastes awful) to a glass of Coke. For some reason, this really only
works with the old Coke. I tried it with Pepsi once but it just wasn't
the same.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

pumphrey@ttidcb.UUCP (Larry Pumphrey) (07/18/85)

My favorite flavoring to add to coke is called rum.

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (07/18/85)

Re: request for variations on plain coke

I had a friend who swore by coke with milk in it. He convinced
me to try it. Not that bad, I never was tempted to do it for
myself tho, kind of a cola egg cream, why not? I doubt diet
varieties would work, the sugar is critical to this one I think.

What about those recipes for coke basted ham? I saw this in an
otherwise funny '50's cookbook, I think the recipes were serious
though.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

zben@umd5.UUCP (07/20/85)

In article <415@ttidcb.UUCP> pumphrey@ttidcb.UUCP (Larry Pumphrey) writes:
>My favorite flavoring to add to coke is called rum.

Open a can of R.C. cola, then pour in some vodka and kahlua.
Hey presto!  A Decadent Russian!

And (should you live amongst the unbenighted troglodytes, where drinking
in public is not only frowned upon, but illegal) you can drink one while
mowing your lawn, in full view!

(This message was brought to you by the digraphs GM and GE, with
 additional funding from the trigraph IBM...)

And the number "200 million".

--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

Lemon juice
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------     or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

brad@kontron.UUCP (Brad Yearwood) (07/29/85)

> My wife (Beverly) likes chocolate Coke -- like cherry Coke, but you use
> choclate syrup instead of cherry syrup. I find this unique -- I had
> never heard of it before I saw her do it. Anybody else like this? (I
> tasted it once and found it yucky, myself.)

Sure - my local drugstore soda fountain made them, in Houston about 20
years ago.  Wonderful!  Anybody remember drugstore soda fountains - where
you could get real *malts*, not just the insipid McShakes of today?

> Sure - my local drugstore soda fountain made them, in Houston about 20
> years ago.  Wonderful!  Anybody remember drugstore soda fountains - where
> you could get real *malts*, not just the insipid McShakes of today?

	Hell, yes!  Those were the days!  The soda jerk [ :-) ] would make
anything than anyone wanted.  I used to like pineapple cokes, and even tried
pineapple-chocolate cokes.  You could get any flavor milkshake you wanted -
even orange and lemon.  The soda fountains always had a plethora of syrups
to make phosphates.  Anyone remember phosphates?  [not the detergent variety]

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (08/05/85)

In article <226@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> Someone else writes:
>>   Anybody remember drugstore soda fountains - where
>> you could get real *malts*, not just the insipid McShakes of today?
>
>	Hell, yes!  Those were the days!  The soda jerk [ :-) ] would make
>anything than anyone wanted.  I used to like pineapple cokes, and even tried
>pineapple-chocolate cokes.  You could get any flavor milkshake you wanted -
>even orange and lemon.  The soda fountains always had a plethora of syrups
>to make phosphates.  Anyone remember phosphates?  [not the detergent variety]

   Ah, yes, the good old days!  Just last week I ambled down the road to the
local dairy bar, and had myself a chocolate malted.  I usually get the
chocolate but sometimes go for the pineapple, cherry, blueberry... whatever I'm
in the mood for.  Yes, folks, living in the Dairy state has it's good points.
As for phosphates, the last one I had was at the downtown drugstore something
like 13 years ago.  Well, you can't have everything.

P.S.  Is it true that McDonald's "shakes" are not called milkshakes because of
a definite lack of anything resembling a dairy product?  (I don't really want
to know; it's just something to think about.)
--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

joel "vo" plutchak writes:

> P.S.  Is it true that McDonald's "shakes" are not called milkshakes because of
> a definite lack of anything resembling a dairy product?  (I don't really want
> to know; it's just something to think about.)

	"Seaweed Shakes" would be more like it, since the major constituent of
fast-food shakes (besides water) is carrageenan.  Carrageenan is a gel-forming
polysaccharide extracted from seaweed called Carrageenan or Irish Moss.  It's
a white/gray powder which is virtually tasteless and odorless, and whose gel-
forming abilities are truly amazing.
	I once demonstrated how to make a McShake at a party by taking 500 ml
of water, adding 20 gr of carrageenan powder, 50 ml of milk, along with 20 ml
of Hershey's syrup.  After mixing in a blender, the finished product was really
indistinguishable from the McDonald's product.  Needless to say, there is damn
little milk required to simulate a milkshake.  While McDonald's does not post
their ingredients, they generally are posted on chocolate milk containers where
carrageenan is the most common thickening agent in use; take a look some time.
	Another thickening agent commonly used in food products is xanthan gum,
which is made from the lips of young xanth's...

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
					    {rice,shell}!baylor!/
						      syr!buf!/

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (08/10/85)

> P.S.  Is it true that McDonald's "shakes" are not called milkshakes because
> of a definite lack of anything resembling a dairy product?  (I don't really
> want to know; it's just something to think about.)
>  - joel "vo" plutchak
> {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

Somebody mentioned this to to me once, the next time I was in McDonalds I
looked at the price list above the counter. They are called shakes, but the
little red milk symbol was displayed along side. My guess is that there is
therefore some milk in them, but it may only be a small amount.

--
 [ Why pander life's complexities,
            when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat - The Smiths ]