[net.misc.coke] COKE Clothes

bet@security.UUCP (Bevette E. Davis) (08/07/85)

--

I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I have seen advertisements in
Cosmo.  I think the clothes are pretty neat, but I bet their pretty

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (08/09/85)

     Here in Charlotte, the 'Coke Clothes' fracas has been the ** LEAD ** story
on channel 9 just about every night this week.  The President of Coca-Cola,
Consolidated (the 5th largest bottler in the US) has been pretty cool about it
so far, but the ** MEDIA ** have been pumping this story up but good.

     About 2 miles up the road here from DSI is Cabarrus County, NC, which has
the highest unemployment in N.C. (about 17 percent). Their local economy used
to be the production of yarn and finished textiles, until plants left and right
started closing about 4 years ago.  In addition, Burlington Industries (whose
corporate HQ is in Greensboro, NC) has been closing plants throughout central
NC and VA.  SO?? So, the media goes out and finds some unemployed millworker,
tells them that CocaCola Clothes aren't made in the USA (although they are or
were advertised by Belk Corporation as 'all american') and lets the poor guy
give a overdramatic sob story about 'Ooohhhh, Coca Cola is all American, and
they shouldn't screw poor millworkers over like this.' Several of the smaller
mills still in business offered their CEO's up to tell the world that Coke
would be removed from their plants' breakrooms until Coke repented.

     Yes, I think that the American textile industry has some really big
problems.  However, the press have embellished this story and played it to
the hilt.  You didn't see Bill Klopman whining and moaning on regional TV
asking all his employees to boycott 'Flashdance' when those pre-ripped shirts
(made in the Far East) came out, did you?

     This morning, the president of Coca Cola Consolidated was on the radio
telling people that we 'do not encourage our employees or anyone else to
purchase foreign-made Coca Cola clothes.'

     Those of you from Pennsylvania to Florida might want to try WBT (1110
kHz) after about 8:30 pm a couple of nights next week. The local talk show
has been pretty hot with discussion of this matter.

-dya-

rohn@randvax.UUCP (Laurinda Rohn) (08/09/85)

In article <937@security.UUCP> bet@security.UUCP (Bevette E. Davis) writes:
>>There was an ad this evening on MTV for Coca-Cola Clothes.  Shown were
>>a whole line of different stuff, including sweat shirts with the Coca-Cola
>>logo and pants with a logo at the belt-line.
>
>>Has anyone seen these in stores?  Are they for real?  Why?
>--
>
>I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I have seen advertisements in
>Cosmo.  I think the clothes are pretty neat, but I bet their pretty
>expensive too!

I saw them in the Broadway (department store) yesterday.  They are
indeed for real.  I didn't check the prices though.

					Lauri
					rohn@rand-unix.ARPA
					..decvax!randvax!rohn

"I told you when I met you I was crazy..."

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/09/85)

>There was an ad this evening on MTV for Coca-Cola Clothes.  Shown were
>a whole line of different stuff, including sweat shirts with the Coca-Cola
>logo and pants with a logo at the belt-line.

According to an article in The Wall Street Journal (8/9/85, p. 19),
Coca-Cola Clothes are made by Murjani in Hong Kong and Macao.

This apparantly does not sit too well with textile executives in North
Carolina, where imported clothing is blamed for the closing of 43
textile plants last year.  When department stores started advertising
Coca-Cola clothes as "All-American", it was the last straw - the execs
retaliated by removing Coke machines from their factories!

AWR

PS:  I've been thinking about having a bunch of MOXIE T-shirts (black and
white logo on orange background) made up a) if I can get Moxie Industries'
permission and b) if I can find about 20 others to split the cost.  Anyone
else out there want one?  It's the surreal thing!

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (08/11/85)

    OK, relax everyone!  Coca-Cola USA is about to insert foot in mouth
once again.  Tonight, we were treated to no less than 5 minutes 11 seconds
of the Glamour Twins (Meg McDonald and Bill Walker) on channel 9 discussing
this 'hot' story.  Seems that Coca-Cola is going to revoke their contract
to license the trademark to Murijani {sp?} and have the Coke clothes
American made.

    WHO CARES???? Ford Motor Co. have straightened out their problems, why
not the textile manufacturers?  Guaaaaallllleeeee, gee, Wally, august is
sure a slow month for news.  Even the president's cancerous pimple washed
out in the face of this.

Yours for a more restrained Fifth Estate
David Anthony

.

wts@burl.UUCP (wts) (08/13/85)

[]
The Coca-Cola Co. admitted that they goofed in ignoring the
U.S. textile industry's "Crafted With Pride in the USA" program
of promoting domestic textiles and garments, and of alerting the
U.S. consumer of the growing threat from foreign textile importers.
At meetings of Coca-Cola Co.(Atlanta, GA), the Consolidated
Bottling co. (Charlotte, NC), and textile officials held at
Glen Raven Mills, Coke advised that they would try to persuade
their trademark licensee to recontract their production into
American producers of textiles and garments.

Coke admitted that their primary interest was not in the manufacture
and promotion of clothing, but in control and proper use and display
of their trademark, and that locale of manufacture had not been of
concern.  Due to the "All-American" nature of Coca-Cola, it seems
that some of the machines are going back into the mills, while
others are taking a "wait and see position".

				William T. Sykes
				AT&T Technologies, Inc.
				Burlington, NC

The usual disclamers apply, I doubt that they even know I'm here.

bsisrs@rruxe.UUCP (R. Schiraldi) (08/16/85)

I happened to see an interesting Tee-shirt on a lovely young lady (hope
noone is offended by the term "young lady ;-) ).  It said "COKE IS IT!"
with the "is" crossed out and replaced with "use to be"!!