[net.misc.coke] re Coke drinkers are morons

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (08/16/85)

 > From: hardlj@drutx.UUCP (hardouinLJ)
 > After several weeks of casually reading this newsgroup, I have
 > reached the conclusion that the phosphoric acid in Coke has
 > burned a hole in many people's brain.
 >
 > You can taste the difference between corn syrup and sugar?!!
 > Give me a break.  In 1979, SIX YEARS AGO, Coke began to use
 > a mixture of corn syrup and sugar.  The formula was something
 > like 10% corn to 90% sugar.  The percentages gradually changed
 > until 1981 when the mixture was about 50-50.  In 1983, COKE
 > STARTED USING 100% CORN SYRUP.  So, sports fans, for the past
 > two years you have been drinking Coke with corn in it.
 > BUT, the can STILL said sugar, so you were happy.  NOW, the
 > same old Coke in a new can with the word CORN SYRUP on it has
 > everyone up in arms.
 >
 > Flame me for fun and profit.
 > ihnp4!drutx!hardlj
 > Larry Hardouin

Uhhh, excuse me but....
 The use of CORN sugar was REGIONAL and MARKET-DEPENDENT (ie: what was cheaper
 that month).
 The were many areas of north america that NEVER used corn-sugars in old coke
 and then there were areas that used LOTS of it.
 As for tasting the "difference" in the sugars, I find that it's not so much
 the "direct" taste you notice, but the corn-sugar about half an hour later
 leaves a strange after/back-of-throat taste.

          - Ken Dykes
            Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
            Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1  (+1 519) 885 1211
            {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes
            kgdykes%watbun@waterloo.csnet
            kgdykes%watbun%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa