[net.misc.coke] Classic Coke

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (07/12/85)

]From: evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus)
]
]Wait till Pepsi's new commercials come out!  (and what will Bill Cosby drink?)
]--Evan Marcus

I wondered about that too. Coca Cola Classic is going to be an interesting
product to market. I assume they will have to appeal more to the "baseball,
hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet" part of the market. As experts have
stated, it was these people who caused much of the commotion since they
felt that part of America was being taken away.

Coca Cola (the stuff that's been around since 4/23) will probably go on
trying to appeal the the young, active culture (Pepsi's "new generation").

I wonder who Coke will use as a spokesman for Coca Cola Classic. The only
commercial I have seen so far showed the president of the company. Could
Bill Cosby do it? I'm not sure that he now has enough credibility with Coke
drinkers to make statements about Coca Cola Classic. After all, one of his
present commercials has him saying how he liked the taste of old Coke, but
thinks that the new taste is the greatest taste "in the history of... ever!"

(By the way, this might make an interesting topic for a net.flame
discussion- does Bill Cosby really believe in the products he advertises or
will he say anything for a company that pays him enough?)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP (07/13/85)

>I wonder who Coke will use as a spokesman for Coca Cola Classic. The only
>commercial I have seen so far showed the president of the company. Could
>Bill Cosby do it? I'm not sure that he now has enough credibility with Coke
>drinkers to make statements about Coca Cola Classic. After all, one of his
>present commercials has him saying how he liked the taste of old Coke, but
>thinks that the new taste is the greatest taste "in the history of... ever!"

>(By the way, this might make an interesting topic for a net.flame
>discussion- does Bill Cosby really believe in the products he advertises or
>will he say anything for a company that pays him enough?)

       I've always wondered about that myself. I thought he wasn't sincere
enough in the new commercials proclaiming "...the new taste is the greatest.."

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (07/14/85)

Oh, just a little something I heard on a CNN interview that I thought
was a good point (from some marketing type, not affiliated with Coke):

Many, many of the people who drink Coke (and other colas) are
habituated, at least mildly and as such are sensitive to the taste and
other aspects of the formula.

Most habituating substances have one thing in common: they don't taste
very good to casual users (eg. tobacco, scotch etc etc)

The mistake Coke (and others) makes in these random taste tests is just
that, using random people who may often be trying their particular
product for the first time.

Could you imagine grabbing random people off the street and asking them
to puff a cigarette? I think you might end up with a very sweet
cigarette.

The relationship between how good something tastes the first time and
the likelihood that the user will become habituated (ok, if that bothers
you replace 'loyal') may very well be inversely correlated!

(a lot of this is paraphrased and salt and peppered w/ my own thoughts
so sorry if you saw the show and are a little confused, but I think
I captured the point.)

Anyhow, food for thought

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

miller@rochester.UUCP (Brad Miller) (07/14/85)

A lot of people seem to think coke had the reintroduction of their old formula
'up their sleeve' all along.

The problem with this statement is that there are substatial costs incurred when
changing the formula of a product, especially when it must contain a new
designation (e.g. 'new'). These costs approach that of introducing a totally new
product. The only advantage to giving it the older name is, of course, name
recognition. However, to suppose that Coke would really risk alienating all of
it's current customers if they really believed that there would be such an
outcry at replacing the coke formula seems foolish. All of the pre-release
market studies I saw indicated that coke felt that current customers would not
reject the new flavor, but they would gain market share among pepsi drinkers.
(Taste test statics ran roughly 35% of coke drinkers preferred the new coke,
while 75% would drink it, 50% of pepsi drinkers preferred the new coke over
pepsi.)

So, one may ask, why did the stock go up on the news Coke would reintoduce
their old flavor? SHELF SPACE!! Colas are sold based on the amount of shelf
space they have at the retailer. By introducing a new product, Coke implicitly
forces the retailer to make a decision on what other products they will have
to reduce shelf space for in order to carry the original coke. Given that the
new coke is performing adequately in most areas (there are some large
exceptions) the dealer is unlikely to decrease shelf space for the old coke, so
shelf space for other products, like the off brands and (they hope) pepsi
products will decrease. Bottom line, more total sales, albeit less for any
one part of their product line. (WSJ had an article about shelf space and
its effect on third brands after the introduction of all the caffine free
products by both Coke and Pepsi).

Brad Miller

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (07/15/85)

In article <377@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:

>Now, as the President of Pepsi said, there are 2 Cokes on the market, 1 that
>we consistently beat in taste tests, and the other that nobody likes.
>Actually, I count about a dozen products from that company:
>Old Coke (and presumably caffeine-free, too)

Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
Cola Corporation:

Colas:
    Classic Coke [hmmm, will there be a Caffine Free Classic Coke?]
    [new] Coke,
    [new] Caffine Free Coke
    diet Coke
    Caffine Free diet Coke
    Tab
    Caffine Free Tab

Lemon-Limes:
    Sprite
    diet Sprite
    Fresca

Oranges/Other Fruits:
    Sunkist Orange
    diet Sunkist
    Fanta (other flavors, ... I recall a pinapple)

Root Beer:
    Fanta Root Beer

Dr. Pepper Types:
    Mr. Pibb

Can anyone add any others??

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

The views and opinions expressed in  this message are not necessarily those of
my  employer,  except  the janitor who agrees with everything I write.  I hope
for his early recovery and release.

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/19/85)

> Dr. Pepper Types:
>     Mr. Pibb

> Can anyone add any others??

Umm, yes I can.  How about Dr. Pepper?

gangal@petsd.UUCP (Dept 3271) (07/19/85)

<>

I seem to remember a "Royal Palm" line (grape, orange, rootbeer) which
was cheaper than the Fanta line...  Is that still around?

And, who makes "Ramblin' Root-beer" (Is that Coca-Cola?)

------------------------------

Bob Philhower  c/o  Sanjay Gangal  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!gangal

"one, two, three, four, tell the people what she wore..."

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/19/85)

In article <2149@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) writes:
>Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
>Cola Corporation:
>
>Colas:
>Lemon-Limes:
>Oranges/Other Fruits:
>    Sunkist Orange
>    diet Sunkist
>    Fanta (other flavors, ... I recall a pinapple)

In an article I saw about Classic's return, there was mention made of plans
for an orange-flavor drink under the Minute Maid label (remember, they own
that too).

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are" - B. Banzai

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (07/19/85)

> Oranges/Other Fruits:
>     Sunkist Orange
>     diet Sunkist
>     Fanta (other flavors, ... I recall a pinapple)
		.
		.
		.
> Can anyone add any others??

Don't forget Mello Yello!

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Dan Bidinger) (07/19/85)

  you forgot Mello Yello and Cherry coke

gangal@petsd.UUCP (Dept 3271) (07/19/85)

<>
				  (r)
Ummm...  I'm pretty sure that Coke    owns one of the California wineries.
(Maybe Taylor California, I'm not sure...)

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (07/20/85)

> Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
> Cola Corporation:
>
>     Sunkist Orange

  Very interesting. Someone earlier claimed Dr. Pepper was made
by Coke. Now Sunkist. Where I work, Dr. Pepper and Sunkist are
both in the Pepsi machine. Does anyone *really* know what is made
by whom? If not, please quit posting untruths. Or is there some
agreement between Coke and Pepsi that I don't know about???

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

urquhart@utcs.UUCP (Prof. A. Urquhart) (07/20/85)

>Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
>Cola Corporation:
>
>Colas:
>    Classic Coke [hmmm, will there be a Caffine Free Classic Coke?]
>    [new] Coke,
>    [new] Caffine Free Coke
>    diet Coke
>    Caffine Free diet Coke
>    Tab
>    Caffine Free Tab
>
>Lemon-Limes:
>    Sprite
>    diet Sprite
>    Fresca
>
>Oranges/Other Fruits:
>    Sunkist Orange
>    diet Sunkist
>    Fanta (other flavors, ... I recall a pinapple)
>
>Root Beer:
>    Fanta Root Beer
>
>Dr. Pepper Types:
>    Mr. Pibb
>
>Can anyone add any others??
>
>Daniel

In canada we have
Minute Maid (orange soda)
and also
Five Alive (non-fiz fruit coctail)

Andre
U. of Toronto

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (07/21/85)

> Oranges/Other Fruits:
>     Sunkist Orange
>     diet Sunkist
>     Fanta (other flavors, ... I recall a pinapple)
		.
		.
		.
> Can anyone add any others??

Sunkist and Diet Sunkist are, as I understand it, not really made by the
Coke people. Rather, they are bottled by the local Coke bottlers with
Coke's permission.

As other postings have pointed out, Coke is planning on coming out with a
Minute Maid line of soft drinks (Coke owns that trademark). A recent issue
of one of the major business magazines pointed out some of the dissention
and confusion that this is expected to cause.

By the way, has anybody seen a Fanta product lately? I remember that they
made a Root Beer, Ginger Ale, and Orange Soda under that name. I suspect
that Coke has phased all those products out in favor of ones under seperate
names, such as Rambling Root Beer. (yes, coke makes that, too)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764
Phone:		(201) 222-6600 x366
UUCP:		...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john	...!princeton!moncol!john
						   ...!pesnta!moncol!john
Silly quote:
		Little boy, I don't care if your dog can talk. Please
		tell him this is a TARDIS, not a "Way-Back Machine".

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/22/85)

>                                   (r)
> Ummm...  I'm pretty sure that Coke    owns one of the California wineries.
> (Maybe Taylor California, I'm not sure...)

They also apparently own a large portion of the orange groves down here
(although at present they are all dead).  Many of the groves up in the
northern part of the city have the usual "no trespassing" signs on them,
but have Coca Cola's name on the bottom of the sign.  Down here in the
southern part there seem to be a good many independently-owned groves,
though...
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

pallas@Shasta.ARPA (07/22/85)

Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
(vs. Coke's 99 years).

Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
newsgroups like this one.

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/23/85)

> By the way, has anybody seen a Fanta product lately? I remember that they
> made a Root Beer, Ginger Ale, and Orange Soda under that name. I suspect
> that Coke has phased all those products out in favor of ones under seperate
> names, such as Rambling Root Beer. (yes, coke makes that, too)

We have Fanta Grape (Yuchho!) in our Coke machine at work. The Root
Beer is A&W (Excelent!).
                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                ...!(<sun,cbosgd,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (07/23/85)

> >Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
> >Cola Corporation:
> >
> >Lemon-Limes:
> >    Sprite
> >    diet Sprite
> >    Fresca

Don't they market Slice as well????
I discovered some in southern Indianna, but it is not sold here in the
Chicago area. Does anybody know what the distribution area for Slice is??

--
 [ It's not the end of the world....no it's not;
                  If it's the end of the world, well so what ? - Marti Webb ]

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/24/85)

> Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
> oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
> (vs. Coke's 99 years).

> Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
> newsgroups like this one.

I *have* checked out my facts.  I have a can of Dr. Pepper that says
"Produced by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of New York" on the side.

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/24/85)

> > >Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
> > >Cola Corporation:
> > >
> > >Lemon-Limes:
> > >    Sprite
> > >    diet Sprite
> > >    Fresca
>
> Don't they market Slice as well????

No.  Slice is a product of the Pepsi-Cola Corporation.

> I discovered some in southern Indianna, but it is not sold here in the
> Chicago area. Does anybody know what the distribution area for Slice is??

I don't know what the distribution area is, but it has been in the
Boston area at least since April, and I know it is available here in New
Jersey.

Now for all of the lemon-lime soft-drink lovers, which lemon-lime soda
is your favorite?  Respond to me by e-mail and I'll summarize to the net
in a couple of weeks.
--
	Brian C. Carty 		AT&T Bell Laboratories - Piscataway, NJ

		..!{ihnp4,allegra}!whuts!bccarty

silber@lasspvax.UUCP (Jeffrey Silber) (07/24/85)

The facts:
Dr. Pepper is made by the Dr. Pepper Co. (based in Dallas, and I believe they
bought Canada Dry from Norton Simon last year).
Sunkist is made by General Cinemas (which may at this point have a connection
with Heublein - I know there was some merger talk).

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/24/85)

> Very interesting. Someone earlier claimed Dr. Pepper was made
> by Coke. Now Sunkist.

Dr.  Pepper is a product of "Dr.  Pepper Co., Dallas, TX".  I recall that
at one time Coke allegedly tried to buy it, just before they came out with
Mr. Pibb, but didn't do so.  As such, none of the postings you quoted are
probably correct.*

But, as such, Dr.  Pepper is something of a "free agent," and in many
cities it gets picked up by some bottler who also bottles another well-known
beverage.  Apparently the bottling companies have some influence over which
sodas get "bundled" together in vending machines (I'm not at all sure that
there's any strict requirement, though, that a given machine can contain
only ONE company's beverage, unless it's related to who gets their name on
the outside of the machine.) In Nashville, for example, the machines were
owned by a very large and apparently politically significant vending
machine company, who would mix-and-match all kinds of unusual beverage-
manufacturer combinations.  In any case, the fact that

> Where I work, Dr.  Pepper and Sunkist are both in the Pepsi machine.

might reflect the fact that the same bottler bottles both Dr. Pepper and
Sunkist; check the fine print on the side of the bottle.

As for the concluding statement,

> Does anyone *really* know what is made by whom?  If not, please quit
> posting untruths.  Or is there some agreement between Coke and Pepsi that I
> don't know about???

The first question is a big question, and as such, asking people to "quit
posting untruths" isn't really fair.  The only people who really know the
exact details of what's happening inside the beverage industry are those
who are involved in it, and they aren't likely to tell you.  Thus, careful,
objective observation, and some use of the scientific method, often are best.
These are often wrong; but then, the reason I (personally) find the beverage
industry so interesting is because it is always full of these intriguing
puzzles, and when you finally get some revelation as to the answer to the
puzzle, often it is something no one outside ever even thought of.  And,
without meaning to be unkind, your last sentence is sort of an untruth
too... but this is just an example of how complex it all is.

*I have always wondered whether this rumored story might be a driving force
behind the strange marketing of Mr. Pibb.  Since Dr. Pepper might be possibly
protected by trade secrets, etc., maybe if Mr. Pibb eroded Dr. Pepper's
market enough, it would be worth their while to pursue Coke with legal
action; but if Mr. Pibb is carefully marketed only in cities that don't
have Dr. Pepper bottlers, or some such thing, it could fill in the niches,
thus helping increase Coke's income without directly competing with
Dr. Pepper.  HOWEVER, this is entirely speculation on my part, and may be
entirely wrong.  (So don't go making any big stock decisions based
on it :-).)

DISCLAIMER: Everything above is my opinion, and very little of it comes from
any reliable source other than the sides of tin cans and life in many cities.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer
US Mail:    MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642

silber@lasspvax.UUCP (Jeffrey Silber) (07/24/85)

>Don't they market Slice as well????
>I discovered some in southern Indianna, but it is not sold here in the
>Chicago area. Does anybody know what the distribution area for Slice is??

**gasp** a traitor in our midst.  Slice is a product of the **enemy** --
that's right it is from the Pepsi Cola Company, of Purchase, NY.

Also -- in response to those who say that Coca-Cola owns Taylor Wines.  They did

own it, but they sold it to Seagrams.

tomk@ur-laser.uucp (Tom Kessler) (07/24/85)

It turns out that Dr. Pepper and Sunkist are independent companies.
They look for local companies to bottle their product (syrup is made
at a central location) quite frequently they make deals with the local
coke or pepsi bottling company to bottle and distribute their product.--
--------------------------
		   Tom Kessler {allegra |seismo }!rochester!ur-laser!tomk
Laboratory for Laser Energetics               Phone: (716)- 275 - 5101
250 East River Road
Rochester, New York 14623

slb@uvacs.UUCP (sandy) (07/24/85)

> > Dr. Pepper Types:
> >     Mr. Pibb
>
> > Can anyone add any others??
>
> Umm, yes I can.  How about Dr. Pepper?

Sorry folks, Coca-Cola does *NOT* make Dr. Pepper!! One taste should tell you
that....  In some areas, the same bottler may handle both Coke and the good
stuff, but Coke doesn't get your money.
sandy

roth@ut-sally.UUCP (Mark Roth) (07/24/85)

> Don't they market Slice as well????
> I discovered some in southern Indianna, but it is not sold here in the
> Chicago area. Does anybody know what the distribution area for Slice is??
>
> ||      From the keys of Richard Jeffreys ( British Citizen Overseas )      ||

On my can of Slice are the infamous words:  From the Makers of Pepsi-Cola.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/25/85)

In article <928@ihlpg.UUCP> jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) writes:
>Don't they market Slice as well????
>I discovered some in southern Indianna, but it is not sold here in the

Slice is made by Pepsi. It's really good, too. It's led me to believe
that Pepsi should leave the cola market (and take their offensive
sugar-water with them) and concentrate on marketing this stuff which is
honestly good.
--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

Lord Fred:"Because I said I am."

Wang Zeep:"Seriously."

Lord Fred:"Look, it works for every other religion."

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (07/25/85)

> Don't they [Coca-Cola corporation] market Slice as well????

   Definitely not. I believe Slice is a Pepsi product. At the very least,
it's an independent, since they have Diet Slice in the Pepsi machine at work.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

"Comes a time, when a blind man takes your hand, says don't you see..."

steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) (07/25/85)

In article <7035@Shasta.ARPA> pallas@Shasta.ARPA writes:
>Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
>oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
>(vs. Coke's 99 years).
>
>Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
>newsgroups like this one.

I just had a can of Dr. Pepper today, and it said on the can
"Packaged at the Coca-Cola bottling company", although made at
the Dr. Pepper Company.  So, even though they don't make it,
Coca-Cola is making money off of Dr. Pepper.

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/25/85)

> > >Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
> > >Cola Corporation:
> > >
> > >Lemon-Limes:
> > >    Sprite
> > >    diet Sprite
> > >    Fresca
>
> Don't they market Slice as well????
> I discovered some in southern Indianna, but it is not sold here in the
> Chicago area. Does anybody know what the distribution area for Slice is??

Slice is made by Pepsico. Squirt is better anyways.

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/26/85)

> > By the way, has anybody seen a Fanta product lately? I remember that they
> > made a Root Beer, Ginger Ale, and Orange Soda under that name. I suspect
> > that Coke has phased all those products out in favor of ones under seperate
> > names, such as Rambling Root Beer. (yes, coke makes that, too)
>
> We have Fanta Grape (Yuchho!) in our Coke machine at work. The Root
> Beer is A&W (Excelent!).

Hold it.  Does this mean that Coca-Cola owns the A&W fast-food chain
too??
--

asente@Cascade.ARPA (07/28/85)

In article <2189@sdcrdcf.UUCP> steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) writes:
>I just had a can of Dr. Pepper today, and it said on the can
>"Packaged at the Coca-Cola bottling company", although made at
>the Dr. Pepper Company.  So, even though they don't make it,
>Coca-Cola is making money off of Dr. Pepper.

You are dealing with two separate institutions here!  The bottling
companies are not (necessarily) owned by the company that makes the
syrup.  Consequently, they can make agreements with whichever companies
they wish to bottle their products, subject, of course, to certain
exclusivity agreements.  The fact that bottling companies usually take
their names from the name of their principal product is irrelevant.
Dr. Pepper may be bottled by the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Outer
Slovabia but by the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co. of Inner Moldavia.  Both
buy their syrup from the Dr. Pepper company in Wherever.

Separate question:  if Diet Slice contains 10% fruit juice, how can it
contain so few calories?

	-paul asente

Amusing anecdote:  as an undergraduate, I discovered that if you put
the soft serve ice cream from the machines in the dining hall into the
Coke from the machines in the dining hall, and waited about ten
minutes, what you ended up with was a glass of almost clear liquid with
about half an inch of dark brown scum at the top.  Yum!

silber@lasspvax.UUCP (Jeffrey Silber) (07/28/85)

Coca-Cola bottling companies are not owned by Coca-Cola.  They may bottle other
products, within the limitations of their contract with Coca-Cola (i.e. they
may not bottle Pepsi).  Thus, Coca-Cola, Inc. does not make money off of Dr.
Pepper, but other companies do (e.g. Wometco, Mid-state Bottling, etc.).  Alsom,Coca-Cola does not own A&W.

Correction-- earlier I said that Sunkist was owned by General Cinema.  I have
since learned that it is now a product of R.J. Reynolds.

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/29/85)

In article <7035@Shasta.ARPA> pallas@Shasta.ARPA writes:
>Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
>oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
>(vs. Coke's 99 years).
>
>Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
>newsgroups like this one.

Coke's oldest competition is MOXIE, 101 years old this month (see The Wall
Street Journal, 7/12/85)!!!

Please check *your* facts!

AWR

paul@helens.UUCP (Paul Brownlow @ Data I/O -- Redmond, WA) (07/29/85)

> Now comes the fun part, e.g., listing the products made by Coca
> Cola Corporation:
>
> Root Beer:
>     Fanta Root Beer
>
> Dr. Pepper Types:
>     Mr. Pibb
>
> Can anyone add any others??

Let's see, there's:
			Ramblin' Root Beer
			Cherry Coke (blech!)

Now, if they could make good tequila.....

paul
--
...."You're never alone with a schizophrenic."

training@rtech.UUCP (Training account) (07/29/85)

> > Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
> > oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
> > (vs. Coke's 99 years).
>
> > Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
> > newsgroups like this one.
>
> I *have* checked out my facts.  I have a can of Dr. Pepper that says
> "Produced by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of New York" on the side.

That just means that it was bottled by a company that bottles Coke.
The syrup is produced by Dr. Pepper, which is completely unrelated to Coke.

uggoodjm@sunybcs.UUCP (a Model I) (07/29/85)

> > Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
> > oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
> > (vs. Coke's 99 years).
>
> > Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
> > newsgroups like this one.
>
> I *have* checked out my facts.  I have a can of Dr. Pepper that says
> "Produced by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of New York" on the side.

Please notice that the Coca-Cola BOTTLING Company of New York IS NOT the
Coca-Cola Company, Inc.
Coca-Cola DOES NOT OWN its bottlers.  They are independent businesses owned
by independent businessmen.

Dr. Pepper is the oldest Cola-based COMPETITION to Coke, being 100 years old
this year.  Its cherry-cola like taste is part of the reason Coke has now
brought out a Cherry Coke, in an attempt to slow DP's growth into Coke's
market, and the youth markets, just as new Coke was to stem the tide of
Pepsi's growth.

J. Matthew Good
...!sunybcs!uggoodjm
"I may prefer the old Coke but I'll always 'be a Pepper'"

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (07/30/85)

mojo@well.UUCP (Mojo Jones) (07/30/85)

In article <1996@sunybcs.UUCP> uggoodjm@sunybcs.UUCP (J. Matthew Good) writes:
>Its [Dr. Pepper's] cherry-cola like taste is part of the reason Coke has now
>brought out a Cherry Coke, in an attempt to slow DP's growth into Coke's
>market, and the youth markets, just as new Coke was to stem the tide of
>Pepsi's growth.

Dr. Pepper always tasted more like prunes than anything else to me.

pedz@ctvax (07/30/85)

At S.M.U., the drink machines are managed by Dr. Pepper.  From these
machines you can be Coke which says in effect "Canned at Dr. Pepper".
Thus, I think very very little can be inferred from the information
about where things are packaged.

pedz

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (08/05/85)

I think where everybody is blowing is that they all fail to make the distinction
between the companies that make the syrup and the companies that bottle (and can
) the stuff.  Dr. Pepper and Sunkist are marketed (and bottled) by bottlers with
both the names 'Coca cola bottling company of Hogville' and the 'Pepsi cola
bottling company of Fredville'-- These companies are INDEPENDANT of the manufac-
turers.  They can buy whatever syrup they want and bottle (and distribute) it.
   '`'`'
   Ken
   ''`'`'

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/06/85)

>In article <7035@Shasta.ARPA> pallas@Shasta.ARPA writes:
>>Dr. Pepper is definitely NOT made by Coke.  It is, I believe, Coke's
>>oldest competition; 100 years old this year according to the can
>>(vs. Coke's 99 years).
>>
>>Please check your facts before you post things, even to silly
>>newsgroups like this one.
>
>Coke's oldest competition is MOXIE, 101 years old this month (see The Wall
>Street Journal, 7/12/85)!!!
>
>Please check *your* facts!
>
>AWR

You're both wrong!
Coke's oldest competition is WATER (H2O),
over 4 billion years old this era.

Please check **your** facts!!  :-)

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (08/19/85)

> You're both wrong!
> Coke's oldest competition is WATER (H2O),
> over 4 billion years old this era.
>
> Please check **your** facts!!  :-)

Let's hear it for Coke's oldest competition!

(It definitely has a lead in popularity over Coke...)