[net.misc.coke] Coke drinkers are morons

hardlj@drutx.UUCP (hardouinLJ) (08/15/85)

After several weeks of casually reading this newsgroup, I have
reached the conclusion that the phosphoric acid in Coke has
burned a hole in many people's brain.

You can taste the difference between corn syrup and sugar?!!
Give me a break.  In 1979, SIX YEARS AGO, Coke began to use
a mixture of corn syrup and sugar.  The formula was something
like 10% corn to 90% sugar.  The percentages gradually changed
until 1981 when the mixture was about 50-50.  In 1983, COKE
STARTED USING 100% CORN SYRUP.  So, sports fans, for the past
two years you have been drinking Coke with corn in it.
BUT, the can STILL said sugar, so you were happy.  NOW, the
same old Coke in a new can with the word CORN SYRUP on it has
everyone up in arms.

Flame me for fun and profit.
ihnp4!drutx!hardlj

Larry Hardouin

PS. Iced tea - the REAL, Real Thing

juanc@dartvax.UUCP (John S. Evans) (08/20/85)

In article <176@drutx.UUCP> hardlj@drutx.UUCP (hardouinLJ) writes:
>After several weeks of casually reading this newsgroup, I have
>reached the conclusion that the phosphoric acid in Coke has
>burned a hole in many people's brain.
>
>You can taste the difference between corn syrup and sugar?!!
>Give me a break.  In 1979, SIX YEARS AGO, Coke began to use
>a mixture of corn syrup and sugar.  The formula was something
>like 10% corn to 90% sugar.  The percentages gradually changed
>until 1981 when the mixture was about 50-50.  In 1983, COKE
>STARTED USING 100% CORN SYRUP.  So, sports fans, for the past
>two years you have been drinking Coke with corn in it.
>BUT, the can STILL said sugar, so you were happy.  NOW, the
>same old Coke in a new can with the word CORN SYRUP on it has
>everyone up in arms.
>
>Flame me for fun and profit.
>ihnp4!drutx!hardlj
>
>Larry Hardouin
>
>PS. Iced tea - the REAL, Real Thing

I wasn't a big Coke drinker in 1980, so I did not notice the change
in the flavor then, but it was obvious to my friends and me that
the flavor of Coke changed in 1984 (when the corn syrup hit my area)
Just because no one complained at the time does not mean no one noticed.
I, for one, hoped it was just a temporary thing (wrong though I was.)