[net.misc.coke] Classic Coke vs. Old Coke

omo@mcnc.UUCP (Julie Omohundro) (08/20/85)

> >  "That's a bunch of baloney," said David Goldman,
> >  an analyst with the investment firm Dean Witter
> >  Reynolds Inc.
> >
> >  "I don't know how you could tell anyway," Goldman
> >  said.  "The taste memory of any human being
> >  doesn't last more than a day or two."

GIMME A BREAK!  Maybe THIS guy can't remember how pizza tastes when
he hasn't eaten it in two days, but I sure can.  I suspect I know
how he has twisted the results of a marketing study to reach this
absurd conclusion, but I would love to see the actual study to
check on this.

Paul, does your article give me any leads on this Goldman jerk?
Does it say which DWR office he is with?

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (08/22/85)

  Has Classic Coke reached nationwide distribution yet?  It sure
hasn't hit Ithaca yet...maybe it's all for the better since I'll
switch to water.

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (08/27/85)

This article is not by wjr, but a guest on his account, so flame STella
Calvert.  Better yet, flame Atlanta.

In article <476@lasspvax.UUCP> chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) writes:

>  Has Classic Coke reached nationwide distribution yet?  It sure

hadn't hit PA, NY, CT, or WV as of my last (a few weeks ago) trip  through.
I called the local distributor at my destination (Romney, WV), and they said
they hoped to have it by Labor Day.  I then called Get-coke, and they said it
would probably be national by September, but it was up to the bottlers.

BTW, all we can get around here in glass bottles is the gross new taste of
Croke (does it really use dead frogs as a flavoring?  I'm not sure I believe
it, but you sure couldn't disprove it by the taste!).  If you're within
four or five hours driving time of Boston, and can
give me a pointer for the classic thing in the classic bottle (glass
crown seal half-liters preferred, but any glass bottle would be good news),
send me mail.  I will post a summary if you wish.  If you're further than five
hours from here, send me mail anyway, come to think of it -- will be useful
when we vacation, and will make the summary more useful to the net.  Besides,
if we have to drive to Alberta to get the real thing, we have to.  (The
reaction of a border-guard when I give the purpose of the trip as coke
smuggler might be amusing anyway.  Or maybe not....:-)----| )

			STella Calvert

--
----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems

friedman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU ( -Gadi ) (08/31/85)

I just came back from Martha's Vineard MA.  And the A&P there
still had 3 litter bottles of the OLD Coke along with cans of
Clasic.  Yes there is a difference.   (in a blind taste test).
The Clasic tastes like corn syrup.
From now on its RC cola for me.

                             -Gadi

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (09/02/85)

In article <3496@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> friedman@topaz.UUCP ( -Gadi ) writes:
>I just came back from Martha's Vineard MA.  And the A&P there
>still had 3 litter bottles of the OLD Coke along with cans of
>Clasic.  Yes there is a difference.   (in a blind taste test).
>The Clasic tastes like corn syrup.
>From now on its RC cola for me.
>

>                             -Gadi

OK. however, consider the following:

while at a pseudocon in new jersey, i conducted the following blind taste
test in the following manner: two sample boxes were prepared, each box
contained ordered pairs (x,y) of cups of Coke. Box A was prepared with
cups x containing Classic Coke, and cups y containing OLD coke from my
stash at home. Box B had both x and y cups containing OLD coke. On the
table next to the test samples were a few bottles of OLD coke for general
enjoyment. the test was given in the following way: a participant was
given an ordered pair of cups from one of the boxes, and asked the question:
"are the two samples the same or different?" I recorded the results.

Results:

   for Box A, the box containing the different samples, 4 out of 6 people
said that there was a difference between the x's and the y's.

   for Box B, the box containing all old coke, 5 out of 6 people said
that there was a difference between the x's and the y's.

Hmm, makes you think, doesn't it? Now, for the real shocker. The bottles of
old coke for general enjoyment which were next to the taste test, were really
filled with (you guessed it): PEPSI. And, NOBODY detected it.

Comments, anyone?

                                        -the venn buddhist

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/04/85)

> Hmm, makes you think, doesn't it? Now, for the real shocker. The bottles of
> old coke for general enjoyment which were next to the taste test, were really
> filled with (you guessed it): PEPSI. And, NOBODY detected it.
>
> Comments, anyone?

Yes... the problem with these taste tests is that few people tasting the colas
seem to make an effort to SMELL the cola.  Classic Coke smells different from
New Coke, and it smells very similar (if not identical) to the original Coke.
Pepsi also smells different.

It's well known that people can only taste 4 different flavors.  On the
other hand, no such simple division of the sense of smell has yet been found.
People identify things by smell; "taste" per se is very misleading.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	Uryc!  Gurl'er cnvagvat zl bssvpr oyhr!  Jung n qrcerffvat pbybe...

draughn@iitcs.UUCP (Mark Draughn) (09/05/85)

I have a bone to pick about all these taste tests.
How many people actually drink Coke by taking a sip and savoring the taste?
Everybody I know takes big gulps.  And you know what?  On a hot day,
after a lot of work, NOTHING tastes better than a big long gulp of
Classic Coke!   So there.