[net.sf-lovers] Help! I need to know!

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (12/19/85)

> From:	muddcs!rracine	(Ray Racine)

> This is another I need to know about book which has
> haunted me for a few years now. It's an old book which
> was reprinted in a series of old time classics under
> Lynn Carter, who wrote the introduction.  The authors
> last name started with an H. ( Hamiltion ??)
>
> The book is almost morbid, taking place very far in the
> future.  The hero dreams his way there, I think.  All of
> humanity has taken refuge in a large pyramid of light and
> only a few hundred remain with fewer almost daily.
> Outside of the pyramid is evil in various incarnations....
> Absolutely everything was dark in the book, no sun at all,
> the entire atmosphere was something straight out
> of Edger Allen Poe.
>
> Lynn Carter writes a little epilogue saying to wait for the
> second book to soon be reprinted.  I have never seen it and
> you can imagine why I would.
>
> This is a tough one.  Does anyone out there remember it?

It's THE NIGHT LAND by William Hope Hodgson, first published
in 1912. An abridged version under the title "A Dream of X"
was published the same year in a collection along with some
poetry. This short version was also published all by itself
in 1977 by small press publisher Donald M. Grant. The full
version first appeared in the US as part of the omnibus
collection THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND AND OTHER NOVELS
(Arkham House, 1946). It was published in paperback in two
volumes as part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series in 1972.

And by the way, it's LIN Carter, not Lynn Carter.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

<"Bibliography is my business">