[net.ham-radio.packet] HF gateways for packet

clements@bbnccq (10/17/85)

From: Bob Clements <clements@bbnccq.ARPA>
Sorry to bother everyone with this, but my mailer complained
about every address I tried to reach kk9w directly.

Subject: HF gateways for packet
To: kk9w@pur-ee.UUCP

Dave,

The gateways that I am aware of consist of the following:

VHF signal->VHF radio->TAPR TNC->Xerox 820->TAPR TNC->HF radio->HF signal

The TNC connected to the HF radio has slightly modified filters
in its modem, as described in TAPR documents.  The HF radio is
run in SSB.   The Xerox 820 runs the W0RLI MailBox/GateWay code.
It allows gatewaying in real time (conversational QSOs) and by
store-and-forward electronic mail.

The W0RLI code is readily available.  It runs ONLY on the Xerox 820,
at present.

I won't go into any more detail in this message because I don't know
what parts of this are old hat to you and what you need to learn
more about.

Let me know how I can help.

Now to see if I can route this msg to you....

73,
Bob
K1BC

ARPANET:   clements@bbn.arpa
Usenet:    {ihnp4|decvax|linus|ima}!bbncca!clements
Phone:     617-497-3612 (work)  or 617-861-8622 (home, ans. machine)