[net.ham-radio.packet] Packet xfer

cxs6277@ritcv.UUCP (Cliff Skolnick) (01/20/86)

	Is there anyone out there who has any good ideas on transfering
.com files via packet on two IBM PC's?  We have tried xmodem, but the
delays seem to always abort the xfer.  It there any protocal that does
not care about time delays?
     Cliff Skolnick

{allergra, Seismo}!rochester!ritcv!cxs6277

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/23/86)

In article <9262@ritcv.UUCP> cxs6277@ritcv.UUCP (Cliff Skolnick) writes:
>	Is there anyone out there who has any good ideas on transfering
>.com files via packet on two IBM PC's?  We have tried xmodem, but the
>delays seem to always abort the xfer.  It there any protocal that does
>not care about time delays?
>     Cliff Skolnick
>
>{allergra, Seismo}!rochester!ritcv!cxs6277

SuperKermit (Kermit with Sliding Windows) should do the trick.  SuperKermit
allows up to 31 packets to be in transit.

You can download YAMDEMO.LQR from Telegodzilla; this includes the SuperKermit.
YAMHELP.LQR also available on Telegodzilla contains a tree structured
flash-up help processor for YAMDEMO.

--
   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
   Author of Professional-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix

dunc@uthub.UUCP (Duncan Elliott) (01/24/86)

> 	Is there anyone out there who has any good ideas on transfering
> .com files via packet on two IBM PC's?
> {allergra, Seismo}!rochester!ritcv!cxs6277 <9262@ritcv.UUCP>

If you're sending a single file to someone who is waiting to receive it, then
why not just send it in the AX.25 data link layer.

The data link layer supports transparent data (any arbitrary binary sequences).
The weakest link may be getting the .COM file between your computer and your
TNC.  If your TNC won't let you send transparent data, you may want to convert
it to hexadecimal as is done in the Binhex or Motorola S-record formats.

		    Duncan Elliott	University of Toronto, Dept. EE
		    {linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd,utzoo}!utcsri!uthub!dunc

austen@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/29/86)

>	Is there anyone out there who has any good ideas on transfering
>.com files via packet on two IBM PC's?  We have tried xmodem, but the
>delays seem to always abort the xfer.  It there any protocal that does
>not care about time delays?
>     Cliff Skolnick
>
>{allergra, Seismo}!rochester!ritcv!cxs6277

If both TNCs are set up for 8 bit data and run in transparent mode you should
be able to transfer binary data.  Another method is to create a .HEX file
and send that; I have used this method to send CP/M binary files over packet.

Jeff, K9JA.
austen@uiucuxc