[net.sf-lovers] Criticism and Reviews

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (12/20/85)

> From:	ISM780B!jimb	(Jim Brunet)

>>/* Written 10:12 pm  Dec 12, 1985 by barb@oliven in ISM780B:net.sf-lovers */
>> [...]
>> I recall a quote from somewhere:  "Those that can't create, review."
>> Or something along those lines.  I believe the statement is a bit too
>> general and too harsh (though sometimes applicable).
>
> I'll agree with your uncertainty.  It does seem that, on one hand, one can't
> review adequately unless one understands the writing process from the inside.
> On the other hand, a review by an unsuccessful writer is suspect to envy and
> jealousy if it's a negative review, or ass-kissing if it's a positive review.
> In either event, the audience/author can ask, "Who is *s/he* to criticize the
> work?"  A review by a peer, a seasoned pro, is even more suspect to charges
> of jealousy/favoritism.

It's certainly not true that someone who can't create can't
adequately review or criticize. As long as pithy sayings are
bandied about, there is always, "I may not know what art is,
but I know what I like." I cannot draw or paint worth beans,
but occasionally my mother asks me to critique her latest
painting. In what seems like at least 80% of the time, she'll
respond to my critique with, "That's what my art teacher said."
	Saying that someone who can't write cannot criticize or
review a piece of writing is akin to saying that someone can't
fix a electrical appliance unless he knows how to invent one.

> Very few people (I think) would argue that a Spiderman
> comic book is superior to FINNEGAN'S WAKE, but
> relatively few people will read FW instead of the comic book.

That would depend on who wrote the Spiderman comic book.
If it was Alan Moore, than chances are that I *would*
argue that it was better than FINNEGAN'S WAKE.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM