[net.sf-lovers] SF bestsellers

cas@cvl.UUCP (05/14/84)

Well, this just goes to show that there is no relationship between
best sellers and literature.

Anyway, Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" must have been a best seller (maybe
literature too).
		Cliff Shaffer
		...rlgvax!cvl!cas

jensenj@stolaf.UUCP@cvl.UUCP (jensenj@stolaf.UUCP) (05/14/84)

In recent years SF books have sort of graduated in the public eye from "pulp" to
bona fide "literature" as evidence by the sudden inclusion of many good SF books
into the national best sellers lists.  While there have been many such books,
they are still too few.  But while they are still few enough in number, it
should be possible for us to compile a fairly good list of such books.  Include
straight SF even fantasy.  (I would like to include Stephen King too, but that
might be pushing it a bit too far...)

Here are a few that come immediately to mind:

Asimov -- Foundation's Edge       Heinlein -- Friday
Clarke -- 2010:  Oddessey Two     Donaldson -- White Gold Wielder
                                               The One Tree
	                                       The Wounded Land

I know Marion Zimmer Bradley had at least one, but I don't remember the
title.
Anybody want to have a shot at it?

ishizaki@saturn.UUCP (05/15/84)

I think the book by Marion Zimmer Bradley to make the best-sellers' list
was "The Mists of Avalon".

also, Anne McCaffrey's "The White Dragon" made the best-sellers' list.

audrey ishizaki
HPlabs
Palo Alto, CA
415-857-5903

DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA (12/19/85)

From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>

Something I've often wondered about, but never found the facts on on, is
the question "What science fiction books have really been the long term
favorites, as measured by actual sales rather than awards?"

Locus publishes montly bestseller lists, but these don't contain actual
numbers, so there's no way to total them up for a given time period.  So,
I'm wondering if anyone out there could point me toward a source for a
listing of the best-selling science fiction books of the last ten or twenty
years with actual (or estimated) totals for copies sold (not $ amounts), or
any information along those lines.

Thanks for the help!

Steve Dennett
dennett@sri-nic.arpa
-------

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (12/20/85)

>I'm wondering if anyone out there could point me toward a source for a
>listing of the best-selling science fiction books of the last ten or twenty
>years with actual (or estimated) totals for copies sold (not $ amounts), or
>any information along those lines.
>Steve Dennett

I don't have it here at work, so can't check--but you might try the
"SF Book of Lists".  An excellent book, but with NO INDEX (insert silent
scream here.)  Seems to me there was some such list in it.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      To search for perfection is all very well,
      But to look for heaven is to live here in hell.
                                       --Sting