[mod.politics] A Policy on Automobile-Related Felonies?

CSDAVE@maine.BITNET (07/20/86)

Subject: A Policy on Automobile-Related Felonies?
From:  CSDAVE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (David A. Liscomb)
Date:    Tue, 03 Jun 86 09:04:56 EDT

-----   Received from LISCOMB AT MAINE on 21 May 1986 14:32:57   -----

From: Orny                                    Subject: The Koppel-Unit

    Nightline  brought up  an interesting  possibility. It  seems that
several  states have  instituted programs  such as  the law  requiring
repeat  offenders of  OUI/DWI/PDQ  laws to  place  bumper stickers  on
their  cars stating  so.  In Ohio  this  has  led to  the  use of  two
licence plates,  the normal, and  a bright  yellow plate. The  idea is
to discourage  the crime  by fear of  public humiliation,  rather than
hand-slapping.  I think  that the  idea  certainly has  merit, if  not
carried to  extremes. A special  plate should  be required by  law for
vehicle owners who fit all of the following categories.

    1).  the crimes in question must be FELONY level crimes.
    2).  the crimes in question must be AUTOMOBILE-RELATED
         (ie OUI, leaving scene of accident, evading pursuit, etc)
    3).  the individual in question must be a REPEAT OFFENDER.

    The  public  humiliation  of  being   (in  effect)  branded  as  a
criminal is  a legitimate force and  deterrant to crime. I  think that
it is a  viable solution, particularly of the OUI  problem, where even
more severe laws  go unenforced and are ineffective in  dealing with a
very major problem.

-------

wbd.mdc@office-1 (07/20/86)

Date:  3 Jul 86 09:21 PDT
From: William Daul/McDonnell-Douglas/APD-ASD <WBD.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: Re: A Policy on Automobile-Related Felonies?
To: CSDAVE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

If I ever had a good friend that had such a vehicle....I WOULDN'T
borrow it to run any errands...unless I wanted to wear a mask.  I
guess I am the "shy" type.
 --Bi//

-------