[net.sf-lovers] Help! I need to know!!

gordon@alberta.UUCP (Gordon Atwood) (11/23/85)

> In article <503@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, MJames.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA writes:
> > From: Mike James X27798 <MJames.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA>
> >
> > I am trying to remember a book that I read one summer and  can think of
> > the name or the author. It was about an invasion into America by the
> > Chineese/Japanese and a group of scientists in America who used high
> > technology to create their own new religion and attempt an overthrow of
> > the invaders. All I remember is that the had found the connection
> > between gravity, magnetism, and electricity and used this as the basis
> > for their "magic" and weapons. Please Help!
>
> I believe the book you are thinking of is _Armageddon_2419_ by Philip
> Frances Nowlan. This is the original book upon which the Buck Roger's
> stories were based. It concerns the take over of the world by the Hans
> and the subsequent efforts by the Americans to end their domination.
> The Americans have indeed found a connection between gravity and electricity
> allowing them to manufacture what is called intertron, a material which falls
> up. This they use in their jumping belts and vehicles so that they can make
> them lighter. There are several books in this series and I'll try to list them
> all.
>
>     _Armageddon_2419_ by Philip Frances Nowlan
>     _Mordred_ by John Eric Holmes
>     _Warriors_World_ by McEnroe (can't remember his first name)
>     _Rogers'_Rangers_ by Silbersack (can't remember his first name either)
>
> Armageddon focuses on the American rebellion against the Han, Mordred has
> Roger's son by a Han princess trying to reestablish a world wide Han domination
> with Rogers fighting him, Warriors World is about the true nature of the Han,
> and Rangers is about the efforts to repel the second Han domination. The last
> three books are based on notes made by Nowlan when he wrote Armageddon.
> Armageddon and Mordred are fairly good and I reccomend both but the last two
> aren't quite up to par so you might want to skip them if you're not a big
> Buck Rogers fan.
>
>       "The earth isn't round, its shaped like a burrito."
>
> --
> Keith Conrad Vaglienti
> Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccastkv
>
> In no way should my remarks be considered to reflect the opinions and/or
> policies of the Georgia Institute of Technology nor GIT's Office of
> Computing Services. Put another way, its-a not my bosses fault, monkey boy!

I beg to disagree but if you carefully read the initial letter you will see
it says the Americans set up their own religion.  Armeggedon, by Nowlan does
not feature that twist.

The story in question is one written by R.Heinlein.  I believe it was originally
titled "The Sixth Column", or Fifth, or Fourth.  It was retitled some years
ago.  It involves the U.S. suddenly being invaded by "oriental" types.  It is
sudden and almost total.  A small research facility remains intact in the
mountains.

 Said facility has just discovered a "new" physical law which links gravity,
sub-atomic particles, and electricty-magnetism.  They set up a new religion
which allows them to move freely since the invaders want to keep the populace
"happy" by giving them their religious beliefs to cling to.

Any conversant Heinlein fan should be able to supply the correct title.

G.H.A.

pete@stc.UUCP (12/20/85)

> This is another I need to know about book which has haunted me for a few years
> now. It's an old book which was reprinted in a series of old time classics
> under Lynn Carter, who wrote the introduction.  The authors last name started
> with an H. ( Hamiltion ??)
>
> The book is almost morbid, taking place very far in the future.  The hero
> dreams his way there, I think.  All of humanity has taken refuge in a large

Our mailer bounced your address so I'm posting this.

The  answer  is  'The Night Land' by William Hope Hodgson.
Strongly recommended if you can take the laboured
olde-worlde language.

See also 'The House on the Borderland'.  This is shorter and more
directly horrific.  Also very good.

I haven't read his sea stories 'The Boats of the Glen Carrig' and
some others or his 'Carnacki (sp?) the Ghost Finder' series.

They were all mostly written in the 1900-1920 period.

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year from
-
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	`I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.'

OC.TREI@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (12/22/85)

From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>

> From: muddcs!rracine@caip.rutgers.edu (Ray Racine)
> Date: 13 Dec 85 04:06:47 GMT

> The book is almost morbid, taking place very far in the future.  The
> hero dreams his way there, I think.  All of humanity has taken
> refuge in a large pyramid of light and only a few hundred remain
> with fewer almost daily.  Outside of the pyramid is evil in various
> incarnations.  I distinctly remember one was "HE-WHO-WATCHES-IN THE
> NORTH" in the shape of a huge crouching monstrosity which never
> moved, yet constantly drew closer and closer.  There are other
> capitalized evils in the east, west, ect... as well as other smaller
> evils which roamed freely.  Absolutely everything was dark in the
> book, no sun at all, the entire atmosphere was something straight
> out of Edger Allen Poe.

> It was far and away the best sci-fi book I have ever read from the
> so called golden age of sci-fi.  It was well written and way ahead
> of it's time.

     This book is THE NIGHT LAND, by William Hope Hodgson, originally
published in 1912. I have a paperback reprint from Britain (Sphere,
1981, # 0 7221 4765 1), which I picked up in a used book store. I have
not finished it yet, but it looks quite good. It comes highly
reccomended, and not just by Lin Carter. Its also given top marks by
Baird Searles, and carries cover and flyleaf blurbs from HP Lovecraft,
Clark Ashton Smith, and CS Lewis, all of whom proclaim it a
masterpiece! It is not easy going; written in quasi-17th century
english, it is over 200,000 words long.
    I am not aware of a sequel, but it does not end in the way you
describe, so maybe your edition was split in two parts.

							Peter Trei
							oc.trei@cu20b.arpa
-------