[mod.politics] Libertarianism vs. Liberalism

fagin%ji@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (08/06/86)

Lynn Gazis writes:

> But I can't agree with the premise that I have no obligation to
> anyone unless I have contracted it or have injured that person.  I
> certainly think we have an obligation to feed the hungry, heal the
> sick, and so on....

Well,  of course, this is one of the central tenets of modern
liberal political theory, so it bears closer examination.
The main problem with it is that it's full of phrases that sound
wonderful and make you feel good but are in fact extremely vague.

> "...we have an obligation..."

"we":  Everyone in the world?  Do people in China have an
obligation to help the sick in India?  I must assume you're talking
about America.

"an obligation":  ...such that if we don't fulfill it then the
use of force is justified?  This must be what you mean, since
if you didn't think force was justified to compel ethical
obligations we'd be in agreement.  Thus so far we've got:
"People in America may be compelled to ..."

> "... feed the hungry":
Everyone in America who is hungry?
Assuming this is the case, there is still the matter of
redistributing the food.  Food is not something the world
is endowed with that can be transferred to the hungry
by legislative fiat.  It is grown by people, who usually
want something in exchange for it.

Same with medical care.  Despite the massive amount of
governmental involvement in it, in the final analysis
it's provided by particular persons who don't like
being coerced.  Anyway, with a few finishing touches
I think I can legitimately rephrase Lynn's belief as:

"It is just that people in America may have force used against
them in order to make sure that noone is hungry,
noone is sick, and so on ..."

(It is the "and so on" that's responsible for the vast majority
of governmental activity in the US that I find objectionable,
but let's carry on ...)

This new formulation seems far more interesting.
My apologies to Lynn if something got lost in translation.
I also apoligize in advance by referring to this argument
as a liberal one, even though Lynn may not consider herself
a liberal.

The problem with statements like Lynn's is that it ignores
the basic nature of human beings: free, independent (albeit
extremely social) creatures with free will.
It confuses *ethical* values with *political* ones:
"X is obviously a good thing, therefore everyone should
be forced to do X".  Or, perhaps a bit more accurately,
"X is so obviously a good thing that using a little bit
of force against people to achieve X is just".  These
kind of statements, if accepted as axioms (on faith,
if you prefer), are of course not debatable.  You either
accept them or you don't.  However, as with any theory,
one hopes that the axioms upon which you build your
theory of justice are 1) clear, 2) have some basis in reality,
and 3) consistent.  Alas, one can't get the same kind of
clarity and consistency in political philosophy that one can in
mathematics, but they still seem worth striving for.

Anyway, contrast the liberal axiom of justice with
the libertarian one: "Coercion must not be used against an
individual who has not initiated force or fraud".
Ambiguous?  Of course, but much clearer than the liberal
axiom.  Basis in reality?  You bet.  It arises from
the nature of human beings; independent (albeit
extrmely social) entities each with free will, each
inherently precious.  By contrast, the liberal
axiom seems transitory and ephemeral: once I leave
the country my "obligation" to help people here dis-
sappears.  (I'm assuming that noone out there thinks
it's legit to force people in Indonesia to help the
homeless in New York).  Again, the non-coercion
principle refers to all human beings everywhere; it
is applicable no matter what arbitrary geopolitical
boundaries surround the person in question (though,
alas, it is usually unenforceable).

An even more compelling reason for accepting the non-coercion
principle as an axiom is that it *includes* action
under the liberal philosophy of government.  The NCP
allows a great deal of freedom of action to help the
sick and feed the hungry; the NCP and moral action are entirely
compatible with one another.   (In fact, some have argued
that moral action performed under coercion is not really
moral at all, but this isn't net.philosophy).  The point
is that liberal principles of justice are not nearly so tolerant.

I think helping the sick and feeding the hungry are good things;
that's why I send money to CARE and the Red Cross.  I just think
liberty and voluntary choice are even better.  Especially
when a society based on the NCP would be a society far healthier
and more prosperous than the present one.

--Barry
-------