[mod.politics] Poli-Sci Digest V6 #66

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (09/03/86)

Kieth writes:

>  I think employers do have the right to require such tests.  The
>real issues are:

[ check past issues for his arguments which are valid]

>  I do not support your petition, because I believe that employers
>have the right to set any rules they want for potential employees,
>just as the potential employees have the right to set any rules they
>want for their potential employers.
  >A company should have the right to not hire or to terminate anyone
>for any reason, just as an employee has the right to not seek work at
>a given place or to resign for any reason.
>                                                             ...Keith

However, Kieth, there is a question here of individual dignity.  Where
does the employer stop before he has violated that?  In order to do
urine tests fairly, someone must witness one peeing into the cup.
Tell me, are you so inclined to let people watch you pee or take a
dump?  If there was a drug that induced some sort of high through anal
insertion and there was no way to check bodily fluids, would you allow
these employers to look up your butt and feel around?

Where do you draw the line and where do personal beliefs fit in here?
What if in some religions it is against the law to witness someone in
the act of defecation or urinating?  If a person refuses testing on
the basis of religion, will he then not gain the job and isn't that a
form of discrimination?

                                                HOFMANN
-------