[mod.politics] Libertarians Dominating Poli-sci

WLIM@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (09/12/86)

  From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
  Subject: Was Ayn Rand a libertarian?

  A year or two ago, JOSH@RED.RUTGERS.EDU was a major contributor to
  this list, and he eloquently propounded the cause of individual
  liberties in the name of libertarianism.

  From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
  Subject: Libertarians & the Digest

  JoSH handled the unbelievers quite well, and he was twice as
  eloquent as I am.

When JOSH was the moderator of POLI-SCI there were complaints of him
dominating the discussion by insisting on having the last word in
almost every debate that he was involved in.  What ended up happening
was that many people didn't feel that it was a discussion anymore and
stopped sending in their contributions.

From the libertarian point of view, there is an explanation for the
frequent long messages on this and other mailing lists.  It is because
the electronic mailing system is free.  As a result individuals do not
have incentives to conserve on words and strive for quality instead of
quantity.  This is very similar to the behavior we see in the abuse of
the welfare system.  If we were to privatize a mailing list like
POLI-SCI and charge every contributor according to the number of bytes
in the message, there would be more discussing and less dominating.  I
do see this as a very good example for libertarians to use in their
arguments against the government dishing out "freebies".

Willie
-------
-------