[net.sf-lovers] Way Station....

ivanlan@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/16/85)

re:	way station
it's a good book, and bears re-reading.  isn't that explanation
enough?  if you don't remember it that way, try the book again.
(as i remember, the original galaxy serialization had jack
gaughan illustrations ... nice)

not all tv is trash, you know.  how would you feel if your
spouse talked about your reading sf the way you talk about
her watching tv?  it seems to me that sf hasnt been out of
the ghetto long enough to permit fans free and unlimited
sniping at other genres.  it seems to me that no field will
ever be out of the ghetto long enough to permit that.

bill@sigma.UUCP (Bill Swan) (12/16/85)

In article <710@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> postmaster@CSNET-SH.ARPA writes:
>[...]an unusual situation regarding the book "Way Station" by Clifford Simak
>in the book club edition.  Specifically, this person's spouse who
>normally had non-SF tastes in their reading picked up this book and
>could not put it down until they had finished.
>[...]
>Now I recall this book.  I thought it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't
>spectacular.  [...]
>Does anyone have any explanation for this?

It depends heavily on your tastes (plural intentional) in literature. While
Simak's older books, like _Way Station_ treat certain topics (such as alien
beings) in ways that look clumsy to readers of the current styles of science
fiction, there is an element to his writing in those books that I really enjoy.

Sad to say, I have not found quite the same "charm" in his later writings,
but the earlier books hold a special place in my permanent collection (if
quantity counts, my bookshelves and floors support only some 500 books, but I
have given away well over a thousand in the past two decades).

I see nothing contradictory in seeing a person  who has been stereotyped as to
their choice of reading finding enjoyment in a different writing. My wife, who
has a Master's in French Literature is currently enjoying Le Guin's
_Left Hand of Darkness_.

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill

tomp@copper.UUCP (Tom Pereira) (12/17/85)

In article <710@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> postmaster@CSNET-SH.ARPA writes:
>From: Nick Simicich <NJS.YKTVMX%ibm-sj.csnet@CSNET-SH.ARPA>
>
>...regarding the book "Way Station" by Clifford Simak
>...Specifically, this person's spouse who
>normally had non-SF tastes in their reading picked up this book and
>could not put it down until they had finished.
>
>Does anyone have any explanation for this?

This is a favorite of mine, one that I've had for many years and although
I have frequently recommended it to *my* spouse she has never even picked
it up!  I doubt very much that it has been impregnated with any substances
"Way Station" (in my opinion) *is* a good story in its own right!

**************************************
* Tom Pereira                        *
* Tektronix Inc.                     *
* P.O. Box 4600, Mail Station 92-635 *
* Beaverton, Oregon 97075-4600       *
* Phone: 503-629-1232                *
* ...!decvax!tektronix!copper!tomp   *

deacon@ihu1g.UUCP (j m deacon) (12/24/85)

> dating back to 1960 or so.  Yet when this book arrived, she picked it
> up, and eagerly devoured it.  It was almost as if it were a book
> Does anyone have any explanation for this?

My explanation is that Simak is a magnetic writer.  When I pick up
any of his books, I have a very hard time putting it down.