[mod.politics] Who owns the moon?

KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (10/01/86)

    From: decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Random)

    >This brings up an excellent point.  Ownership ultimately derives
    >from force; the physical ability to protect something.

    WHo said anything about force!!!!!!!!! If you are producing zero-g
    alloys, and are selling them to all buyers on earth, no one will
    WANT to stop you.

  You are assuming that everyone is as reasonable as you are.  They
aren't.  The communists and the "non-aligned" nations have this
peculiar idea that natural resources on Earth and in space are "the
common heritage of mankind".  They will regard any attempt at
developing and selling those resources by the US or by any private
company as being theft, unless they are given shares of the profits
in proportion to their population.  The USSR is quite likely to wait
until the factories are set up and running smoothly, and then try to
"liberate" the factories for their own use.
  Space factories aren't practical until it is possible to defend
them.
                                                              ...Keith

[ I doubt very seriously that the Soviets would make any overt moves
against space factories (especially in the likely event that they are
manned).  More their style is the UN resolution, and make political
bucks on earth.  Besides, I expect they'll have some up there soon
enough.  They've got a lot of space-hours logged...  Anyone care to
comment on the likelyhood of assault on a space-factory succeeding -
rather than destroying it? - CWM]
-------