[mod.politics] Prison

kfl%mx.lcs.mit.edu@mc.lcs.mit.edu (09/29/86)

    From: Hank.Walker@unh.cs.cmu.edu

    Why let people OUT of prison after their first major felony
    sentencing?  Prison overcrowding?  Use bunkbeds.  Still
    overcrowded?  Use bunkbunkbeds.

  And who pays for all this?  And what about those people who are
innocent and are wrongly convicted?  And what about those who made a
mistake but are redeemable?  I don't think you realize just how
horrible prison is, or how easy it is for an innocent person to get
convicted.  I believe in giving almost everyone a second chance.
  Of course if you define major felony as being major enough, i.e.
murder or treason, I agree with you.  As you are no doubt aware, I
think a lot of things which are "major" felonies today should be
perfectly legal.
  They are already using bunkbeds.  Ever spent two years in a room
the size of a one bedroom apartment with 80 other people?  And no
shower?
                                                              ...Keith
-------

bill@sigma.UUCP (10/02/86)

>Why let people OUT of prison after their first major felony
>sentencing?  Prison overcrowding?  Use bunkbeds.  Still overcrowded?
>Use bunkbunkbeds.

Great. And how about:

#1: Those who never committed the crime in the first place. (What's
    that?  You don't believe that the innocent get convicted in this
    country? Boy, have I got a bridge for you!!)

#2. Those who did, but will never do it again.

-------