[mod.politics] Libertarianism Defended, Part II

fagin%ji.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (10/03/86)

In the second part of his attack on libertarianism, Richard
Cowan makes a common mistake: he confuses "freedom" with "ability".
He writes:

> We live in a political world dominated by economic arrangements
> among powerful institutions.  Eliminating many government powers
> might give us certain new freedoms, but would have no effect, or the
> wrong effect, on the limits on free choice imposed upon us by
> institutions.

This is an interesting choice of words.  When an institution
starts to sell a product and then removes it from the market,
are they *imposing* a limit on our free choice?  When a worker
accepts a job in a factory and then later withholds his services
in hopes of getting better wages, is he *imposing* a limit on the free
choice of his employer?  If I were to embrace celibacy,
would I be *imposing* a limit on the free choice of women
seeking mates?  Such an interpretation is, of course, possible,
but seems to me unsatisfactory.  It seems far more reasonable
to say that the person or institution concerned is justly exercising
their rights as a (collection of) free human beings.

And even if Richard's definition of "imposing" is accepted,
what follows?  Are we worse off by these "impositions"?
Have we been harmed?  Richard seems to imply that if an
economic institution fails to provided us with a certain
good or service, our free choice has been impinged upon
and we have been harmed.  But this is nonsense!  If I
were to become your devoted slave, Rich, you would
unquestionably be better off.  Does this mean that your
free choice, your right to choose among devoted slaves,
has been infringed?  Are you worse off *because* I haven't
become your devoted slave?  I think not.

I would point out to Rich that freedom to choose does not
mean the ability to choose.  It means the freedom to choose
from what others freely wish to part with.  I do *not* think
this means that these others are imposing limits on our
freedom of choice, and I am certain that they are not
violating our basic, natural rights as human beings by doing
so.  On the contrary, they are affirming them.

> ... large scale
> capitalism largely thrives on the indoctrination of consumers to
> make the "right choice,"

 ... This is Galbraithian arrogance;  "most consumers purchase
goods because they're indoctrinated (not me, of course), I'm
smart enough to perceive this and moral enough to want to do something
about it", etc. etc.  First of all, this assertion is highly
dubious: there is no evidence whatsoever for corporations being able
to manipulate consumer demand in any meaningful way.  If it were
true, why don't all smart people like Rich put every cent they
own into "large" corporations' stock, and retire early?  I mean, they
can manipulate consumer demand easily, right?  That's how
large-scale capitalism thrives, right?

But even if consumer's are positively Pavlovian in their
behavior, what right do you or anyone else have to coercively
intervene, in the absence of force or fraud?  Are you smarter than
they are?  Are you better-intentioned, with purer motives?

> Companies frequently bring in innovations designed to induce
> "economic growth" by making the consumer dependent on various modern
> conveniences.

Dependent in what sense?  Required for survival?  Would require
huge disruption in lifestyle to do without?  Would require
financial sacrifice to do without?  Would hurt only a little
if done without?  Which kind of dependencies can corporations
induce?

Has every innovation ever attempted been slavishly accepted
by our poor addicted consumer?  How about beer shampoo?  JOLT Cola,
(with twice the caffeine)?  Breath spray for dogs?  Why aren't
these things the latest craze?  Seems to me that corporations
put new stuff on the market with hope, not certainity.  This
kind of reasoning has all the trademarks of Jeanne Dixon's
astrological predictions.  If she's wrong, noone will remember,
if she's right we think it incredible.  Similarly, if a
corporation introduces a new product that fails badly, we forget
it, but if it succeeds (like toothpaste in a pump) Rich tells
us that we're being "manipulated".  Jeez, Rich, what stops them
from giving us toothpaste in a bag?

> A dependency on toothpaste in a pump is being created (by subsidy at
> first) so that consumers will ultimately pay for the added cost of
> the pump, and in order to better regulate (and speed up) their
> toothpaste use.  When toothpaste in a tube is removed from the
> market because most consumers have been indoctrinated (progress!) to
> buy it in a pump, what happens to my "free choice" to buy
> toothpaste in a tube?

If A pays B for a good or service, and later B stops providing it
or provides something else, what happens to A's "free choice"
to buy that good from B?  I would say that he never had such a
choice to begin with; only that he had the free choice to buy
whatever B wished to sell.

> The free market, using the technical apparatus of the media, has
> infringed on my freedom.

Can A make the same complaint?  And should he be compensated
at B's expense?  If so, why?  Suppose A and B are not individuals
but institutions?  Does this make any difference?  If so, why?

By the way, it's interesting to note that you wouldn't have
known that your freedom was "infringed" at all were it not
for the free market; that is, it is the mechanisms of the
marketplace that make toothpaste in a tube possible.

Rich, could you explain to me again how companies that decide to
no longer provide a product you like are infringing upon your
freedom?  By failing to perform an action, have they made
you worse off?  Or have they simply exercised their rights
as a collection of human beings?  Let's turn the tables.
Let's say I enjoy reading your postings in polisci
enough to pay you for them.  Two months later, for some reason,
you decide to stop.  Have you infringed on my freedom?  Have
my rights been violated?

> Now I don't suggest we start a movement to guard the right to buy
> toothpaste in a tube, but I do suggest that there is a danger to
> freedom posed by economic interests manipulating our needs, given
> the level of technical organization and coordination of modern
> society.

There is a far greater danger posed by social reformers who
would seek to prevent human beings and their economic institutions
from deciding on their own what they wish to sell and under
what terms.

--Barry
-------