[mod.politics] Some TV shows worth watching. . . .

prm@ASC.PURDUE.EDU (10/11/86)

SMITH%SLACVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:

>I purged TV almost completely out of my life 10 years ago and am over
>99% TV clean. My suggestion to everyone: Read Instead.

Perhaps not read *instead*.  I feel it ought to be read *also*; with a
caveat.  Carefully monitor what you are watching.  PBS stations do
carry some interesting and intellectually challenging programs.  For
example, Wall Street Week is extremely informative and often
provocative.  Another good example is Bill Buckley's Firing Line.
This is very often controversial and always greatly entertaining.  For
pure entertainment and beauty, try watching National Geographic's
Explorer.

I disagree that all programming is bad.  I'd say more than 1% of the
programs available are worth watching.  Mind you, this is not an
attack against reading.  I'm all for reading.  For the time spent, you
get more information reading than watching TV (If you're a brisk
reader and can absorb information well).  Of course, it would delight
me if everyone gave up the CBS evening news and started reading
National Review.  It'd be even better if everyone agreed with it. :-)

                                        - Phil
                                          prm@j.cc.purdue.edu

NOTE: These opinions are mine; they are not neccessarily those of my
employer.

-------