[mod.politics] Wealth and discriminatory hiring

TESTA-J%OSU-20@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (09/24/86)

From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>

>    From: Lynn Gazis <SAPPHO@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
>
>    Well, a person with enough money could bribe everybody not to
>    hire me, ...
>
>  Why would anyone wish to do this?  And how much would it cost?  If
>you apply at 100 companies, and if your worth to them is about twice
>your salary (i.e. you and the company would benefit equally by your
>working there) he would have to pay these companies more than 100
>times your salary.  Not just once, but every year.  And if you apply
>at a 101st place, he must now pay your salary again, to the 101st
>company.  Unless the 101st company didn't get the word, or simply
>refused to go along with such bribes.  In which case they would hire
>you and the rich man would be out millions of dollars with no gain at
>all.
>  Each time you apply at a company, you are essentially fining him
>the value of your salary.  Who is hurting whom?

Aaah, but you're assuming that the person being targeted is the *only*
person capable of doing the job.  Why would someone have to pay the
TOTAL amount of your salary as a bribe to someone else to not hire
you?  Let's say that there are TWO candidates for a job, approximately
equally qualified.  It might be adequate inducement for me to go up to
the hirer and say "i'll give you ten bucks not to hire that one guy".
Or a dinner... or some other bribe.  Most likely, it would be
something of personal benefit to the person doing the hiring, rather
than something which would help the company.  Or the promise of a
future favor, which would have NO monetary value -- the rich man
wouldn't have to be out millions of dollars.

                                        -joe testa-
-------
-------

KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (10/30/86)

    From: ~joe testa~ <TESTA-J%OSU-20@ohio-state.ARPA>

    Aaah, but you're assuming that the person being targeted is the
    *only* person capable of doing the job.  Why would someone have to
    pay the TOTAL amount of your salary as a bribe to someone else to
    not hire you?

  Well, if it is less, you can simply offer to work for that amount
less than the other applicant.
  Is the bribe to be paid every year to every potential employer?  How
do you think anyone would get so many fantastically wealthy enemies
with nothing better to do with their money than to make life difficult
for you?  And what makes you think any of this is illegal NOW?  So why
doesn't it happen NOW?
                                                             ...Keith

-------