[mod.politics] How Many Scientists' Signatures Do You Need?

cramer@kontron.UUCP (11/14/86)

I've noticed that many of the opponents of SDI keep talking about how
many "top" scientists have signed petitions denying that SDI is
feasible.  The "Nuclear Winter" hypothesis also had a similar addendum
-- 100 "top" scientists signed it.  (I say "hypothesis" because from
what I've read, the assumptions involved are idealized, and
consistently idealized in a manner that finds for "nuclear winter").

I'm reminded of what happened in the mid-1930s when 100 "top German
physicists" (or so they styled themselves) issued a denunciation of
"Jewish physics", aimed specifically at Einstein and relativity.  As
Einstein said, "It would only have taken one, if I was wrong."

Perhaps this is just characteristic of a collectivized approach to
things common in some circles, but this entire "group denunciation"
and "group validation" of public policy issues smacks of politics --
not science.

Clayton E. Cramer

-------

weemba@BRAHMS.BERKELEY.EDU (01/05/87)

you write:
>I've noticed that many of the opponents of SDI keep talking about how
>many "top" scientists have signed petitions denying that SDI is
>feasible.

Even its supporters admit it can't do what its boosters keep pushing
on the American people and Congress.

The technical arguments against SDI are so manifold, and the extreme
damage being done to academic freedom in the name of SDI, and the
utter hornswoggling propaganda campaign done in its favor, make the
above a rather minimal response.

>           The "Nuclear Winter" hypothesis also had a similar
>addendum -- 100 "top" scientists signed it.

It is embarrassing when preliminary results are trumpeted as such.
But the real issue is we don't really have the computing power to
identify what will happen.  We're supposed to depend on lucky guesses?
That's the administration's line.  Just who's being more political
here?

>I'm reminded of what happened in the mid-1930s when 100 "top German
>physicists" (or so they styled themselves) issued a denunciation of
>"Jewish physics", aimed specifically at Einstein and relativity.

Such a comparison is superficial, if not down right insulting.  *This*
denunciation followed the party line and was extremely self serving.

A more accurate comparison, thus, would be between SDI supporters and
the Nazis.  I say "more accurate", since I think just about any
comparison to Hitler borders on hysterical exaggeration.

>Perhaps this is just characteristic of a collectivized approach to
>things common in some circles, but this entire "group denunciation"
>and "group validation" of public policy issues smacks of politics --
>not science.

It *is* politics.  When gigabucks and our future are at stake, what do
you expect?  (And whose fault is it for making it a political issue in
the first place?  Not the scientists.)

[Note-This discussion really belongs in the ARMS-D mailing list (or
mod.politics.arms-d for USENETters.)  I will ignore any replies not
sent there.  In particular, read my article "Response to 'Hawaii'"
(about a week old) for an expansion of the above comments about SDI.]

ucbvax!brahms!weemba  Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

-------

flink@mimsy.UUCP.UUCP (01/20/87)

kontron!cramer@topaz.rutgers.edu writes:
>(...from what I've read, the assumptions involved are idealized, and
>consistently idealized in a manner that finds for "nuclear winter").

Then you haven't read the *Science* article on the subject.  Many
assumptions were made in a manner that would tend to *underestimate*
the "nuclear winter" effect.  (I think the article I have in mind
came out in the summer of 1984.)

> [...] this entire "group denunciation"
>and "group validation" of public policy issues smacks of politics --
>not science.

So what did you expect in political debate?!  Or do you think that
scientists have no right to participate in politics??!

--love and kisses,
Paul Torek                      flink@mimsy (soon to be torek@umich)
-------