[mod.politics] Teflon Presidency

SAPPHO@SRI-NIC.ARPA (12/23/86)

Can I think of anything remotely within the realm of possibility that
would cause the public to lose faith in Reagan?  Well, I can think of
two things: economic disaster or Reagan becoming alcoholic.  Both of
those things have caused other political leaders to fall.  Of course,
the economic trouble would have to be fairly prolonged and affect a
lot of people for it to hurt Reagan's popularity.  People accept a
constant unemployment rate higher than used to be acceptable, but
skyrocketing inflation might hurt him.  I don't think I need to make a
list of the respectable politicians who have done things under the
influence of alcohol which have ruined their careers, and
conservatives like Reagan certainly aren't immune to this failing.

Lynn Gazis
sappho@sri-nic
-------
-------

jack@seismo.CSS.GOV@cwi.nl (02/18/87)

SAPPHO@SRI-NIC.ARPA writes:

>Can I think of anything remotely within the realm of possibility that
>would cause the public to lose faith in Reagan?

Well, I think the current rumours of the president not seeming to pay
attention when North told him about the weapon deliveries, or the MD
who speculated that Reagan *might* have given permission, but
forgotten all about it, are good candidates.  Even though these are
just *rumours*, they might just catch on...

--
        Jack Jansen, jack@cwi.nl (or jack@mcvax.uucp)
        The shell is my oyster.