[net.sf-lovers] Hunting for the Hobbit on tape...

lah%miro@BERKELEY.EDU (12/27/85)

From: lah%miro@BERKELEY.EDU (Commander RYN Leigh Ann Hussey)

Recently, my husband played for me a tape which he had recorded from
a radio broadcast of Nicol Williamson ("Excalibur"s Merlin) reading
the complete Hobbit.  Wonderful characterisation, with Beorn having
a strong Scots burr, Bilbo with a West Country (Dorset, Cornwall)
accent, the Dwarves sounding Yorkshire/Norse and Gandalf as a nasal-
twangy Oxbridge scholar.

Unfortunately, David's tape is not complete.  Where can we find this
recording these days?  Is it the set boxed in what looks like a salt
cod box that is available in some bookstores?  Is it actually a record
set rather than a tape set?  Does anyone know anything about it?  Help?

Thanks,
Leigh Ann

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (12/27/85)

In article <846@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, lah%miro@BERKELEY.EDU writes:
> Recently, my husband played for me a tape which he had recorded from
> a radio broadcast of Nicol Williamson ("Excalibur"s Merlin) reading
> the complete Hobbit.  Wonderful characterisation, with Beorn having
> a strong Scots burr, Bilbo with a West Country (Dorset, Cornwall)
> accent, the Dwarves sounding Yorkshire/Norse and Gandalf as a nasal-
> twangy Oxbridge scholar.
>
> Unfortunately, David's tape is not complete.  Where can we find this
> recording these days?  Is it the set boxed in what looks like a salt
> cod box that is available in some bookstores?  Is it actually a record
> set rather than a tape set?  Does anyone know anything about it?  Help?

   The recording you heard was from a record set available from Argo Records,
and as far as I know, it's still available.  The salt cod box version is a set
of cassettes from the National Public Radio broadcasts, and I can't vouch for
it's quality, having never heard it.  The same people (NPR) also did a complete
Lord of the Rings, available in a larger box...

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren