[net.music] Broadway Melody, Barbara Ann, and a new category

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (11/13/84)

[oh, no, there's TWO of me now!]
So this is what happens when one becomes a target for the "big guns" of
the Ballistic Research Lab  :-( "groan"

Paul, you do agree that Broadway Melody of 1974 has good lyrics, right?

Ron, thanx and a tip of the hat for "Bomb bomb bomb ....".  At least someone
remembers the hostages :-)

The new category:
    You've heard of good lyrics and bad lyrics.  How about...
      Innovative Presentations of Lyrics ?
What is the most unusual way you have heard of for presenting lyrics?
I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting "Forgotten Sons" by Marillion,
from the album "Script for a Jester's Tear".  Fish (the lead vocalist)
screams the words on your right, while someone else (?) says them in a
normal voice on your left.  Great stuff for headphones.
(Since I don't have access to the album right now, I will not make an
effort to post the lyrics.)

Should I send a few MIDI programs to allegra!synergy!fast ?   :-)
--
From under the smogberry trees....
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)

   "But someday soon we'll stop to ponder
    What on earth's this spell we're under
    We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."

trb@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (11/17/84)

In article <> acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) writes:

>The new category:
>    You've heard of good lyrics and bad lyrics.  How about...
>      Innovative Presentations of Lyrics ?
>What is the most unusual way you have heard of for presenting lyrics?

One novel form that always caught my attention was a simple trick used
by Jim Morrison in the song "Riders on the Storm."  As far as I can tell,
Morrison sang the words normally, and then later mixed himself in, whispering
the same words.   This gives the vocal an interesting eerie quality, and
I've never met anyone else who noticed it.  (Is it my imagination?)

As I recall, Ian Anderson also accentuates certain words in this way in
the song "Songs from the Wood."

Is this whispering a common practice?  I guess, if it ever was, it has
probably made way by now to some high tech synthetic substitute.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274