[net.micro.att] Questions on the PC-7300

adam@npois.UUCP (Adam V. Reed) (05/17/85)

1. sdb ia available. To use it, you must not only re-compile with the -g
option to cc, but also re-link without shared libraries. (If invoked on
a core dropped by a program linked with shared libraries, sdb will drop
its own core. Foo.)

2. LPI C appears to have no visible advantage over standard cc for pure
C work. It does, however, permit linking of routines written in several
diffferent LPI languages.

3. The expansion bus seems to permit a floating point processor. I don't
know whether there are any plans to provide one, but as a last resort
you could wire-wrap your own.
				Adam Reed
				npois!adam

gsky@ihnp1.UUCP (Glenn Kapetansky) (05/17/85)

I have been wondering. As it now stands, the UNIX PC expands its
memory via 512K boards. So 2M would fill all the slots. Can we
fill the motherboard with 256K chips ourselves, like on the PC6300,
to free up the expansion slots? If the motherboard chips are
soldered (yccch), how about the expansion board(s);are they soldered
too, or can we almost-fill an expansion board with 1.5M? If any
of the above is possible, what dip/control settings are necessary
to make it work? I'd really like to have max memory AND a slot or
three to play with...

--

	glenn kapetansky

"If I only had a brain!" -- Scarecrow

	...ihnp4!gsky

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (05/18/85)

In article <272@ihnp1.UUCP> gsky@ihnp1.UUCP (Glenn Kapetansky) writes:

>I have been wondering. As it now stands, the UNIX PC expands its
>memory via 512K boards. So 2M would fill all the slots. Can we
>fill the motherboard with 256K chips ourselves, like on the PC6300,
>to free up the expansion slots? If the motherboard chips are
>soldered (yccch), how about the expansion board(s);are they soldered
>too, or can we almost-fill an expansion board with 1.5M? If any
>of the above is possible, what dip/control settings are necessary
>to make it work? I'd really like to have max memory AND a slot or
>three to play with...

Yet Another Related Question: Is 2 MB indeed the max memory,
or can we expand to, say, 8 MB (or more) using 256 KB chips?
The 68010 is not limited to 2 MB; is there an enforced memory
size limit in the o.s. or in the firmware somewhere?

And Yet Another: I have seen two different clock speeds quoted
for the Unix PC: 10 MHz and 12.5 MHz. Which is it?

Thanks!
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (05/20/85)

Dwight Earnest writes:
> Yet Another Related Question: Is 2 MB indeed the max memory,
> or can we expand to, say, 8 MB (or more) using 256 KB chips?
> The 68010 is not limited to 2 MB; is there an enforced memory
> size limit in the o.s. or in the firmware somewhere?
> And Yet Another: I have seen two different clock speeds quoted
> for the Unix PC: 10 MHz and 12.5 MHz. Which is it?

There was a 2MB real memory limit (bussing) in the 7300's ancestor MiniFrame;
I don't know if it carried over, but quite possible.
It is 10Mhhz.
--
-john mashey
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash